GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Washer fluid what does everyone else use

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Methanol isn't blue, so clearly there are other chemicals in there.

It's one thing to use the fluid when you can't see clearly as that creates an accident risk, but to use it every time you get in your car "just because" is ridiculous.

I'll use my sprayer often during winter as I have no choice because the glass can get so dirty you literally can't see anything, but during summer I rarely use it. Maybe only when I get bug splatter or something.

Yes, methanol is clear (this chemist says thank you, Captain Obvious), and clearly there are other chemicals in there. Ever look in the beverage case in a convenience store? Lots of chemicals and dyes in those beverages, too. Most dyes are harmless to the environment, and many people believe ingesting them is safe, too (I don't). Whatever blue dye is in washer fluid is infinitesimally small as to be negligible from an environmental standpoint.

And just to back up my earlier claim, check out the chemical composition of this blue washer fluid: https://www.starfire1.com/pds/Starfire Wiper Fluid -20_PDS.pdf

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Yes, methanol is clear (this chemist says thank you, Captain Obvious), and clearly there are other chemicals in there. Ever look in the beverage case in a convenience store? Lots of chemicals and dyes in those beverages, too. Most dyes are harmless to the environment, and many people believe ingesting them is safe, too (I don't). Whatever blue dye is in washer fluid is infinitesimally small as to be negligible from an environmental standpoint.

And just to back up my earlier claim, check out the chemical composition of this blue washer fluid: https://www.starfire1.com/pds/Starfire Wiper Fluid -20_PDS.pdf

Your posts have been excellent.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
+1. Mix this one gallon of distilled water, and the results are great. Smells nice too.
I like this also but can’t be used in winter. At least not here.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Tap water and the heads from distilling. essential oils... not that other stuff ;)

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
H

Huntermike

Purple Power. It's needed in WI winters and really does a good job on bugs and poo...and bug poo.
It's made in MN too so I can keep my harmful chemicals local!

Purple Power Frequently on sale before winter for less than $2/gal.

Signs and symptoms of exposure (via MSDS): "Headache, nausea, narcosis, vomiting, irritated eyes or mucous membranes, blindness, dry or defatted skin."

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Whatever the OE VW wiper fluid is, was really nice.
Smelled good too.
I'd imagine VW dealers may sell it, but it's probably pricey.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
That product page is hilarious.

Windshield Washer Fluid Concentrate - 1 Liter