GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

More robust turbo vs breakage

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Have to find what they use to determine payment.

Plus as I read it you will have to be denied warranty work at the dealer first then have it moved to another shop.

Seems sill and a big hassle, if you’re a responsible person and tuned you shouldn’t even attempt going to the dealer for warranty work on the motor/driveline when tuned.

Just find a good independent shop and save money.

If your worried about repair costs and warranty loss, sit on the sidelines.

emanon

Ready to race!
Shaft breaks.
Shitty.

Ill have to see if i can get my hands on a broken one and see what the issue is. Should be easy to determine if its twisting the shaft or fracturing. Vibration should look very different from being over torqued.

If it's a torque issue then an IS38 that isnt pushed as hard should be much more reliable. If its just a bad shaft (material spec) or balance issue it wont make much difference.

Maybe precision will over a ball bearing direct replacement turbo, but it wont be cheap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
First determine what overall power level do you want? Where in rpm range is that power and torque important to you? If 300-335/360-385 wheel is not enough then of course look at a bigger turbo. Go for ride in a good running stage 2 APR GTI and see how that feels first. Just my 2 cents.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
First determine what overall power level do you want? Where in rpm range is that power and torque important to you? If 300-335/360-385 wheel is not enough then of course look at a bigger turbo. Go for ride in a good running stage 2 APR GTI and see how that feels first. Just my 2 cents.

This is good advice

320-330whp is more than fast enough for my liking. Atleast for most public roads. The missing component is that whp number / speed done with a reliable source (turbo)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoon

Autocross Champion
What I wanted to know here is whether any of the turbo options out there are less likely to break than the IS20 or IS38?

The only options I would choose at this time, with reliability being the priority, are Boss or DBV2. Both are $3K

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
One idea I had was to have my turbo rebalanced when I go APR Stage 2 LO. Would that help at all?

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
One idea I had was to have my turbo rebalanced when I go APR Stage 2 LO. Would that help at all?

No one knows.

Exactly, no one knows for sure what causes the shaft to break, but if it was due to an unbalanced turbo, I assume more would be blowing up when they reach a certain PSI with a tune. That doesn't mean it couldn't help prolong the life of the turbo. That being said it might be more worth your money to buy a different turbo.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
No one knows.

Exactly, no one knows for sure what causes the shaft to break, but if it was due to an unbalanced turbo, I assume more would be blowing up when they reach a certain PSI with a tune. That doesn't mean it couldn't help prolong the life of the turbo. That being said it might be more worth your money to buy a different turbo.

Ok thanks for the advice.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion