GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Not sure how they could lose the box, it's the size of a freaking fridge!

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
My order was placed on the 14th. Got a notice today saying I could come pick it up at the post office. I got a notice when it shipped but never got a tracking number. It was marked as requiring a signature so I guess they attempted to deliver it to our apartment. Not going to be easy to hide from the wife but compared to the cost of what usually arrives in large boxes this is an absolute steal.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Derf

Ready to race!
Ordered June 15th, arrived today June 26th. 11 days to Long Island NY.
Now to put together a hardware list to call in at the VW dealership.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Cool, mine should be here any day too!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R

It'll probably be significantly cheaper to buy from e-acca if you don't mind waiting a few weeks longer.

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
The hardware is pretty cheap from the local dealer. I think I paid maybe $30 for the brackets and various screws/bolts

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Oh, K-Rap!!

Finally getting around to installing the "splash guard/skid plate" (5Q0825902B) I ordered/received months ago via eBay for my DSG GTI, and ... NO vents.
Thinking serious of modding it with a couple of cut-outs.
Figure a drill and sabre saw may do the job.

Would be GREAT to hear from anyone else who's already done this job.
TIA.
just did this.

used a hole saw and a mini hack saw to cut a vent on the drivers side.

it's not pretty but the panel is still plenty strong. I may pretty it up more but I barely care if temps stay in check.

mrrogers1

@GolfDave did you see ECS is doing a Street Shield full tunnel cover/brace for the MK7 Golf? They have both FWD and AWD version and it is "supposed" to work on TDI and gassers alike. They were thoughtful enough to include small vents to help with the heat situation that we saw the DIY version earlier in this thread had. Price is a little steep but that is, of course, relative to the buyer. :D

Check it out here >>>> Street Shield Tunnel Brace

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
Track Report

Bit of a track report with some aforementioned aero trays. In my quest to make my GTI Clubsport a sleek wind cutting beast. I went ahead and fitted the following thanks to this extremely informative post:

3Q0825236 - front aero tray with one pair of ducts
5Q0825229C - exhaust tunnel cover
5Q0825206K - rear exhaust tunnel cover

Considerations going into this were how would these impact engine oil temps. There was also some feedback about heat generated from the exhaust cover. To counter this I wrapped the centre of the exhaust midpipe from the start to the resonator which is the section that is covered by the cover.

So how did it fair?

Difficult to say if oil temp increased. I don't think it did. Maximum I saw was 119C/246F at an ambient temp of 14C/57F. Same track one month ago I was around that range 116-119. On a hot day (30C+) I'll see about 129C/264F max. This is on an untuned car.

The exhaust cover did not fair so well. It was sucked right off the car on the main straight on the first lap when I hit about 150-160kph. I was not able to recover it.

To attach I used:
N0385494 spreader rivets
N90974701 hex nuts

Definitely not sufficient for this use. More heavy duty fixing is required. I'm not sure if the alternatives suggested 8E0 825 267 and 4D0 807 300 address this.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The exhaust cover did not fair so well. It was sucked right off the car on the main straight on the first lap when I hit about 150-160kph. I was not able to recover it.

To attach I used:
N0385494 spreader rivets
N90974701 hex nuts

Definitely not sufficient for this use. More heavy duty fixing is required. I'm not sure if the alternatives suggested 8E0 825 267 and 4D0 807 300 address this.

Strange...are the "wings" behind the side covers?

Mines ok....& I've been at that speed ....overtaking about three cars & a truck....:D...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
@GolfDave did you see ECS is doing a Street Shield full tunnel cover/brace for the MK7 Golf? They have both FWD and AWD version and it is "supposed" to work on TDI and gassers alike. They were thoughtful enough to include small vents to help with the heat situation that we saw the DIY version earlier in this thread had. Price is a little steep but that is, of course, relative to the buyer. :D

Check it out here >>>> Street Shield Tunnel Brace

Interesting version.....still a alight problem of holes at the front where the sheet alu changes shape....but looks from that picture a better design & a good combination...however & would recommend sound deadening on both sides otherwise stone hits will sound very loud..

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
Strange...are the "wings" behind the side covers?

Mines ok....& I've been at that speed ....overtaking about three cars & a truck....:D...

Yep wings were tucked in. It may have been faster than that. Wasn’t looking at the dial. End of the straight is about 205kph so was at some speed before that.

I might buy another and see if I can afix it more securely.