GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Washer fluid what does everyone else use

Alfaguy

Ready to race!
I like rain-x but vw wants us to use only theirs. “Everything else messes up the washer sensor”
So what’s the deal ?

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Supermarket stuff.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Yeah, me too, cheapest bluestuff.

If you do keep using the rain-x fluid or fluid with rain-x added it will foul the sensor. It also tells you on the washer cap not to do this because they won't cover it.

If you want to keep using rain-x maybe take to the towel method old school style.

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
Cheapo blue -20 from Walmart. I don't use Rain-X... it screwed my sensor up in my MKV as VW uses electrodes in the reservoir to sense the level instead of a level float. The Rain-x coats the electrodes causing them to think the reservoir is always empty. You can get the coating off by running regular washer fluid through the system with a tablespoon of salt to remove the film but the salt is really not good for the washer pump.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
That Rain X stuff messed up the sensor when I had my A8, the advisor told me not use that stuff again because they had customers coming in for the same reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I used the cheap blue stuff for most of my life until last year I switched to Splash brand (purple color) which has hydrophobic additives that completely restored my wipers to working like new, even after they were a year old. So since then I've been a convert to that stuff. I don't know if it leaves a coating on the fluid level sensor, I don't have one so I don't worry about it.

adam1991

Banned
Cheapo blue -20 from Walmart. I don't use Rain-X... it screwed my sensor up in my MKV as VW uses electrodes in the reservoir to sense the level instead of a level float. The Rain-x coats the electrodes causing them to think the reservoir is always empty.

yeah, leave it to the Germans.

So let's see...we could ditch the fancy electrodes and move to the industry standard float mechanism, and take that money saved and put it back into the interior....nah.

adam1991

Banned
Cheap Blue or you can order VW concentrated and dilute with distilled water in summer time. I think you can find on ebay or Amazon.

The VW stuff does smell good. Like the original tank full that was in car on delivery.

You mean the car I took delivery of, and half a mile later was squealing at me CONSTANTLY because the washer tank was empty?

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
F*#k a fluid sensor. It goes batshit when it’s triggered. Never had it on any other car and never needed it. I finally disabled it with OBD11. I wont miss it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk