GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG smells like burning clutch on track

Fargin Bastige

Has anyone gotten a clutch smell from their DSG on track? When I finish a session, I run a pretty long cool down in the pits. When I get out, it smells like burnt clutch.

If you’ve had this happen, we’re you able to fix it and how?

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
My DSG has not displayed any symptoms of a problem after 37 days on track. I replaced the fluid at 2 years and will do so again next year at the 4 year service. I am running a stage 1 APR high output 91oct tune along with their TCU tune.

Is your car tuned or otherwise modified?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Has anyone gotten a clutch smell from their DSG on track? When I finish a session, I run a pretty long cool down in the pits. When I get out, it smells like burnt clutch.

If you’ve had this happen, we’re you able to fix it and how?

I put a cooling system on my DSG for track use. The DSG relies on coolant shared with engine for its cooling which is not the best cooling system for the track. My car is a MKV but I believe your MK7 cools in same manner.

My DSG began to slip and I attributed it to the extreme heat at the track so I rebuilt DSG and added the cooler. I got a few track days in with K04 (old setup) but mostly put it in for new setup which is almost finished.