GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 headlamp stone guard protectors

cb1111

Love the unnecessary aggression. I have the tinted film on stock LP lights and can confirm it does not reduce light output by any noticeable amount. Now - I have seen near-blacked out headlight lenses before and that is just stupid.
The pictures look 30-40%ish, so more than half the light is not going through. It also looks like the windshield is tinted so that is reducing vision even more.

That's alright though because being able to see at night is so overrated.

BTW - there is a huge difference between sarcasm and aggression. I'm being sarcastic.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Function>Form = avoid tinted films

.02 from an old guy who's eyes are going I like the look of tint but not wanting reduced (even slightly) light output

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
The pictures look 30-40%ish, so more than half the light is not going through. It also looks like the windshield is tinted so that is reducing vision even more.

That's alright though because being able to see at night is so overrated.

BTW - there is a huge difference between sarcasm and aggression. I'm being sarcastic.

I can see just fine through my tint. Again. It did not make a noticeable difference in light output, or vehicle visibility for that matter. With or without the film, my light output is comparable. It looks like it may be less, but it is not noticeable

Here is a picture of during the install. One light has the film, the other doesn't

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 341

cb1111

I can see just fine through my tint. Again. It did not make a noticeable difference in light output, or vehicle visibility for that matter. With or without the film, my light output is comparable. It looks like it may be less, but it is not noticeable

Here is a picture of during the install. One light has the film, the other doesn't
And this is exactly what people don't understand - how the brain processes light.

What you can't deny is that there is a science behind light and tint. If you have 50% tint, then you are reducing the light output by 50%, if it is 30%, the 70% of the light isn't going anywhere.

The difference is eyestrain - a very tricky thing to measure.

US regs forbid ANY covers on lights. Technically, that includes clear film.

Why? Because any film (as it ages) reduces light output.

I'm a fan of quality clear film that is swapped out frequently but I recognize that it doesn't meet the regs.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Great idea - get good headlights then dumb them down with tinted film.

Another example of the lemming mentality - we spend thousands on illegal, "upgraded" lighting to get close to the LP and then the guys with the better lights add tinted film.

Your concerns are valid and noted.
I thought about this a while and tried it to see how it would go. This is my first tinted headlights so not something I have always changed
Technically in some states I am sure clear film on headlights is not allowed. The film looks darker in the picture than it is in person. In the sun it really darkens in pictures. When driving I do not notice any loss in light. At times when car was new other cars would flash me when coming to a light at an incline before my lights tilted down. After the light tint film I have not been flashed. My only issue with the LP light is the sharp line between light and dark farther down the road. I know this helps on coming cars but I would like a little more light farther down road. The European headlights would be nice.

You likely also would not like my 70% tint on windshield and matte black solid windshield banner. But in the Southern sun I actually see better because of them. I find tinted windows a big help and they make for a cleaner view. My opinion.

What I do not like are trucks that lift the front and not the rear.
Then do not adjust headlights any. So now the light shines up on the ceiling of my car or in my eyes coming head on. Compared to this my tinted headlights are nothing.

I keep my cars longer than most and over time headlight do not hold up. This is my attempt to help that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hooville

Go Kart Newbie
I'm using clear 3M Scotchgard film on all of our cars, its been on the GTIs headlights for over 2 years now and is just starting to show a few pits and scratches that won't polish out. It's 8mil, so not a lot of stone protection compared to Laminex, but I've never lost a headlight to a stone: only windshields!

For about $35 I can replace it in 3-4 years (or as needed to maintain clarity) and the lenses won't be sandblasted or yellowed. Even if there's a slight loss of light now I should have better output over the long haul since it's much easier and cost effective to replace film than lenses! I put glass lenses on my MK4 wagon since the headlights were yellowed and almost opaque after 8 years of Atlanta road construction!

KT600

Passed Driver's Ed
so the choice is laminex which people are saying causes cracking of the light, how does that happen? is it heat related ?

or 3m film ?

i know there is a seller on ebay selling stone guards that clip on to the light but only available to australia market. any one one here live in australia who could buy some and send them to the uk?

have people got a list of links for the stone guards for the headlamps?

thanks all

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
IMO Invisible Mask headlamp protectors are the way to go. Not thick like Lamin-X. I’ve had them on all my cars. You’d never know they are on unless you felt them.

RogueGTI

Ready to race!
I just use the same paint protection film that's on the painted panels. Always have. Looks great, works great. Don't know why anyone bothers with laminex or whatever. Tinting i guess.

RogueGTI

Ready to race!
Your concerns are valid and noted.
I thought about this a while and tried it to see how it would go. This is my first tinted headlights so not something I have always changed
Technically in some states I am sure clear film on headlights is not allowed. The film looks darker in the picture than it is in person. In the sun it really darkens in pictures. When driving I do not notice any loss in light. At times when car was new other cars would flash me when coming to a light at an incline before my lights tilted down. After the light tint film I have not been flashed. My only issue with the LP light is the sharp line between light and dark farther down the road. I know this helps on coming cars but I would like a little more light farther down road. The European headlights would be nice.

You likely also would not like my 70% tint on windshield and matte black solid windshield banner. But in the Southern sun I actually see better because of them. I find tinted windows a big help and they make for a cleaner view. My opinion.

What I do not like are trucks that lift the front and not the rear.
Then do not adjust headlights any. So now the light shines up on the ceiling of my car or in my eyes coming head on. Compared to this my tinted headlights are nothing.

I keep my cars longer than most and over time headlight do not hold up. This is my attempt to help that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Transmission losses from something like 3M PPF are trivial. Not a safety issue at all. And if you want more light down the road, just adjust your beam aim. No need to spend big money. :rolleyes: I've had to adjust the HIDs on each of 3 Golf models I've bought over the last 8 years. My mk6 was so poorly adjusted from the factory, it was a serious safety issue above 40mph.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Great idea - get good headlights then dumb them down with tinted film.

Another example of the lemming mentality - we spend thousands on illegal, "upgraded" lighting to get close to the LP and then the guys with the better lights add tinted film.

I've been reading your comments in numerous threads, and I can't help but wonder: what is up your cooch? Take your parenting elsewhere. Last thing this forum needs is a decent conversation interrupted by your cramp induced bitching.