GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Holy &:#% this stinks

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
I recently installed a cat less DP on my car and have a love/hate relationship with it right now. The sound and power is incredible but the thing stinks to high hell. I’ve only driven with windows down but every time I roll up to a stop sign or light I’m hit with a choking wave of exhaust fumes.

I’m thinking it has to be an exhaust leak right? I’m replacing the stock clamp with a better, larger one soon to hopefully fill any leaks there. Also upon install, the V band clamp stripped out a bit and I was only able to close it to about 1/2” of opening left, could that be leaking? Does anyone know where I can get a replacement screw?

I’m really hoping this isn’t normal...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoon

Autocross Champion
If it's coming through the HVAC it's a leak. If HVAC is off and it smells, that's just how it is.

These cars STINK. I had a cammed/big turbo car that failed emissions by 2000% and the MK7 smelled worse when I was catless.

Added a flowmaster cat (2000130) to my 3" DP and it solved the problem completely, zero exhaust smell.

If you have a cat welded in have them weld the DP into a 1-piece and get rid of the clamp permanently, and never worry about a leak again.

My DP would not seal with a clamp, regardless of which clamp I used.

cb1111

And exactly what did you gain by going catless?

Let's see:

You are violation of Federal law
You are allowing carbon monoxide into the cabin and may die
You are gaining a "forum factual" 5000hp, but in actuality you may be gaining a 2 or 3 - or zero
You killed any warranty you may have.

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
I recently installed a cat less DP on my car and have a love/hate relationship with it right now. The sound and power is incredible but the thing stinks to high hell. I’ve only driven with windows down but every time I roll up to a stop sign or light I’m hit with a choking wave of exhaust fumes.

I’m thinking it has to be an exhaust leak right? I’m replacing the stock clamp with a better, larger one soon to hopefully fill any leaks there. Also upon install, the V band clamp stripped out a bit and I was only able to close it to about 1/2” of opening left, could that be leaking? Does anyone know where I can get a replacement screw?

I’m really hoping this isn’t normal...

More than likely your turbo to DP gasket is shot (I think these are only single use items). I had the same issue and I'm running a CTS catted DP, ordered a new gasket and it sealed it right up; no more fumes coming through HVAC. Also, instead of replacing the clamp, I dremeled out the bolt and bought hardware from home depot to tighten it (bolt+nut+lock washers=~$2) and it works great.

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
BMW
Lol brah. What do you expect. It’s gonna smell like a gutted exhaust rice rocket Honda

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
And exactly what did you gain by going catless?

Let's see:

You are violation of Federal law
You are allowing carbon monoxide into the cabin and may die
You are gaining a "forum factual" 5000hp, but in actuality you may be gaining a 2 or 3 - or zero
You killed any warranty you may have.

Also don't forget OP, you got a mean talking to on the forum, so take that as well. :p

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Yeah, I’m not looking for peoples opinions on my choice lmao, I’m just looking for some help. Gotta love “healthy forum debate” though...

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Jesus fucking Christ.

The guy needs to know if an issue is normal and what potential options he has to resolve it.

Three posts in this thread address that question, and the rest are self-righteous douchebaggery.

Might as well be on PriusChat with some of the responses people come up with.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Hoon had a point.....I was going to suggest sniff testing with a breeze/fan in an open area to see if it's coming out the pipe end or leaking along the line. Not sure about VW's but most modern cars will stink w/o cats

I don't approve of removing the cat (yeah I know)

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
4 helpful posts but I get bonus points for douchebaggery

Man I can't stand it when folks type faster than me

Mud

Last edited: