GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Remote Car Starters

joneze93tsi

Passed Driver's Ed
LOL.

Love mine in winter, i start my car before i go down. Windows defrosted and ready to go.

Summer time... Start her up, AC is blowing. Driving off without worrying about the 110+ cabin temperture

Hopefully with a decat downpipe. :)

adam1991

Banned
For those who have remotes with short range: I know this sounds silly, but when you're too far away for the remote to work try holding the remote pointed up under your chin with your mouth open, with you looking at the car, and pressing the buttons.

It doesn't make any sense to me, but it works.

ClubSandwiches

Passed Driver's Ed
Jeez boys and girls. I’m too old for the animosity. I’m in Maine. Just thinking about wintertime use. 5 minutes tops? But I’d say from the accured viewpoints, no?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
My wife liked hers before we got a garage. If you limit use of it I don't see much of an environmental/car wear issue. You'll prob have to give up a key and if MT make sure it is properly installed to deal with the danger of starting a manual car. They do some magic where you leave the car running, get out of car and shut doors, then through the fob arm the auto start feature (this shuts off the car but arms auto start). The auto start will disengage if the doors are opened.

^^^edited for clarity I hope

Do the seat heaters come back on if left on and re-started?

nothing I would want but I know how cold ME can be.

Last edited:

mensaman

Ready to race!
My wife liked hers before we got a garage. If you limit use of it I don't see much of an environmental/car wear issue. You'll prob have to give up a key and if MT make sure it is properly installed to deal with the danger of starting a manual car. They do some magic where you leave the car running, get out of car and shut doors, then arm the auto start feature. Do the seat heaters come back on if left on and re-started?

nothing I would want but I know how cold ME can be.

If installed in a manual car they are usually tied into the neutral switch so it won't work if left in gear. Also you can program the seat heaters to remember their last state with obd11 or vcds.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
If installed in a manual car they are usually tied into the neutral switch so it won't work if left in gear. Also you can program the seat heaters to remember their last state with obd11 or vcds.

I installed remote starters in MT cars years ago, when few cars had neutral switched. There was a logic built in to them to (mostly) rule out the car being in gear. They'd only go into ready mode (ready to start when the button is pressed) if several conditions were met prior to the car being shut off last: clutch switch disengaged (meaning clutch not depressed), brake switch engaged (brake pedal depressed), hand brake switch engaged, and engine running. If either the clutch or brake pedals switches were not in those states, or the hand brake was not engaged, when the car was powered off, the remote start wouldn't work.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
MK7 Golf 5 speed only had a back up light switch, and alldata said that the neutral safety switch was for MT cars with stop/start only. At least for a 2015 Launch edition anyway. So I don't know if that holds true for later versions or the GTI 6 speed.

tna9001

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm looking for a remote starter. For those who say it will damage the engine, where are you getting that info?:rolleyes: