GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R vs Civic Type-R (and a few others) Half Mile

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
What are you talking about, UM was the one of the first to offer dsg tuning, many many years ago, they are more than proven in the vdub community and most who have jumped around with tuners would say that their dsg tune is the standard that every other dsg tune is measured by. The fact you know a guy with a big turbo who’s blown his trans twice means nothing, what exactly was he doing, leaving at 20+psi multiple times on slicks dead hooking on a prepped surface? Race fuel? Race tune? Does he have the adjustable cable? Did UM’s tuning blow his trans or did he make aggressive adjustments to launch boost, rpm, whatever trying to run whatever halo number he was going for? Yep he’s going to find the weak link, shocker, doubling the power and only changing clutch packs wasn’t enough.

I’m running their big turbo dsg tune on a bone stock dsg trans and have had zero issues, probably not launching as much as your friend and on street tires, but it leaves hard at its most aggressive launch at 4500 rpm and 11-12 psi and nothing’s broken yet, that’s besides all the launches when it was “just” stage 2, if you’re not a fan of UM that’s fine, but to state that their dsg tune isn’t ready for prime time because you know a guy who’s obviously really pushing his r and zero information shared on exactly how hard is laughable, there are plenty of satisfied UM customers, and why wouldn’t he have built/changed out the trans after he broke the first one, especially running a badass iroz turbo kit, why wouldn’t you want the full hit?

X2 I wasn't going to continue the debate, so I let it go.. I guess the tune APR stole from UM is better. :D Jeff is constantly making adjustments, releasing updates and making his DSG tune better and better. I doubt other tuners are working on their TCU software nearly as much.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
The car was never launched on the latest transmission that grenaded due to the first one breaking from Iroz and UM "testing" the DSG tune and clutch packs and figuring out traction control.

I just saw a friend drop 40k+ into a Golf R and it failing constantly over and over, could be bad luck or could be bad tuning, guess I shouldn't make rash generalizations.

Engine was a tank though, pretty sure you could shoot it and it would still run, but the two DSG's even with the clutchpacks failed within 6 months of each other.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Oh and original op, I got off on a rant lol but I loved that you pulled hard on that type R, twice, in a manual no less!!! I can only imagine the numerous excuses on the type R forum, I’m going to bet first they say the guy can’t drive, then they’ll say no way was your car just running a jb4, then they’ll claim whatever tune he was running was the wrong tune, I’ll bet the thread is either 50 pages already or locked lol

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Oh and original op, I got off on a rant lol but I loved that you pulled hard on that type R, twice, in a manual no less!!! I can only imagine the numerous excuses on the type R forum, I’m going to bet first they say the guy can’t drive, then they’ll say no way was your car just running a jb4, then they’ll claim whatever tune he was running was the wrong tune, I’ll bet the thread is either 50 pages already or locked lol

There are two threads over on civicx.com. Neither has a lot of replies, site is pretty dead and I think it’s a hear no evil see no evil approach. Most attributed it to driver error from the civic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk