GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Can I trust my coolant temperature?

Of course, it starts out too low to measure and gradually warms up as the car runs. Tops out at 194 degrees Fahrenheit and stays there. Middle of winter? 194. Middle of summer? 194. Idling? 194. Pulling a long, steep hill? 194.

Seems too good to be true. Oil temp fluctuates after warm up though...

There was a thread that discussed this a little bit ago. I think it was called oil temperature or something. I guess the coolant temperature is just set to max out at a certain temp on the gauge even if the physical temp goes above that temp (up to a certain threshold obviously).

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Has anybody tried enabling hatch pop with the key fob without upgrading the strut? I know the factory strut "isn't strong enough to lift the hatch" but has anybody actually tried?

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Has anybody tried enabling hatch pop with the key fob without upgrading the strut? I know the factory strut "isn't strong enough to lift the hatch" but has anybody actually tried?

Earlier models used to be coded from the factory, when I installed my kit it was already coded I have a 15, it will unlock bu I can’t remember if it pops a bit, I don’t it does I would need to go back to stock to find out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nype

Drag Racing Champion
What good would this do. You still need to use the emblem as a handle to lift it up.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
What good would this do. You still need to use the emblem as a handle to lift it up.

Thats why I'm asking. Do we know for 100% certainty that the hatch would not pop up at all? I haven't seen or heard of anyone trying to use it without the upgraded strut so I dont know

Audog

Passed Driver's Ed
Thats why I'm asking. Do we know for 100% certainty that the hatch would not pop up at all? I haven't seen or heard of anyone trying to use it without the upgraded strut so I dont know

I coded my 17 Autobahn with out adding new struts, wouldn't open, but would "pop". Needed the ESC struts to actually open the hatch.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

Cephla

Hello all. I'm new to the GTI community but have always been a fan of the car. I apologize in advance if I misspeak the lingo.

I recently picked up my first GTI, a 2017 GTI S automatic. (please don't judge too harshly (-_-) I absolutely love this car! I'm already interested in making some modifications, but want to do it right (within reason). I have my eyes set so far on going APR Stage II to include the ECU flashes, a down-pipe, and maybe the TCU flash. What I'd like to know is if I REALLY need to upgrade any of the other stock parts that all the major players recommend i.e. air intake, inter-cooler, exhaust etc.

I want to have fun with the car, but don't want to put too much into it. If I could get her around 300HP, I'd be perfectly happy. And that seems pretty doable. Thank you!

TheWedgie

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello all. I'm new to the GTI community but have always been a fan of the car. I apologize in advance if I misspeak the lingo.

I recently picked up my first GTI, a 2017 GTI S automatic. (please don't judge too harshly (-_-) I absolutely love this car! I'm already interested in making some modifications, but want to do it right (within reason). I have my eyes set so far on going APR Stage II to include the ECU flashes, a down-pipe, and maybe the TCU flash. What I'd like to know is if I REALLY need to upgrade any of the other stock parts that all the major players recommend i.e. air intake, inter-cooler, exhaust etc.

I want to have fun with the car, but don't want to put too much into it. If I could get her around 300HP, I'd be perfectly happy. And that seems pretty doable. Thank you!

Downpipe, upgraded IC/FMIC, and drop-in air filter are all you really need to fully support APR Stage II... I think at least a torque arm insert should be recommended to help manage the extra power, but I currently have the full BFI Stage 1 setup, and I really like/recommend it.

Exhaust/Intake should provide additional small gains, but they are definitely not as good of a value from a cost to power-gained perspective.

Cephla

Beginner Upgrades

Downpipe, upgraded IC/FMIC, and drop-in air filter are all you really need to fully support APR Stage II... I think at least a torque arm insert should be recommended to help manage the extra power, but I currently have the full BFI Stage 1 setup, and I really like/recommend it.

Exhaust/Intake should provide additional small gains, but they are definitely not as good of a value from a cost to power-gained perspective.

Thank you for the suggestions!

The BFI Stage 1 seems like a legit recommendation for not a lot of money. Not entirely sure about the IC/FMIC though. I do not plan on racing this car or anything, especially not in hot weather, more just a fun daily driver. Won't the stock MK7 IC/FMIC handle the heat during spring/summer weather?

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Thank you for the suggestions!

The BFI Stage 1 seems like a legit recommendation for not a lot of money. Not entirely sure about the IC/FMIC though. I do not plan on racing this car or anything, especially not in hot weather, more just a fun daily driver. Won't the stock MK7 IC/FMIC handle the heat during spring/summer weather?

When it hits ~80F (pretty easy where I am), my GTI used to feel slow back when I was just JB4 running the basic Map 1 (~4psi above stock) and 91 octane. Running a bit of ethanol with 91 allowed me to run Map 2 (peaks ~5.4psi above stock) safely, but it would still feel like performance was hampered when it gets hot. I upgraded to the IE Intercooler this past weekend, and it's only been in the mid 80s this week. The car moves much better.

It's been said that the stock IC is pretty much good for stock power. If it doesn't get too hot where you are, it might not be as bad to leave the stock IC for now.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Kimomono

Would there be any issue with swapping over the six-speed m/t over to my 2015 launch edition? If I am considering a is20 or is38, would that have any issue with the power increase?

zero10

Ready to race!
How do you figure out what your engine and gearbox codes are?... I see guides and compatibility lists that say things like EA888 for the engine, but don't see those letters anywhere on mine (CNSA instead). Is EA888 the engine family?.. where can I learn more about the history and the iterations of it?

Same with the gearbox - how do I know if mine's a MQ250 or MQ200?.. I see the fluid change guides seem to differ based on which exact gearbox it is.

I've got a 2017 Golf Trendline with the 5 speed manual (Canadian).

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
Why do my headlights turn off when I turn the car off but my parking lights don’t.