GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What oil do you run?

nofuiyo

Passed Driver's Ed
I have leftover of this PP Euro LX 0W30 when we had our 2015 TDI GSW.

I am planning to use this oil for our recently acquired 2018 GOLF R.

My only question is re the 504/507 certification. Does the diesel 504/507 supersede/include 505 (gasser)? (Only 502 and 505 are shown on the oil fill cap).

You are lucky copperbeech that the R is already available in Canada. When i saw your post i went to autotrader.ca and saw a 2018 Golf R for sale in a ugly green civic-like color. I also saw a purple one called Charlemagne. What color did you get? If it was the green one, please forget i said that color was ugly[emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zero10

Ready to race!
I'm surprised to see so few people running Pentosin oils. I just bought 10L of Pentosin 5W-30-SP3 (8078206) because I decided I would like to try running 504.00 oils and due to limited local selection could only choose from the Motul X-Clean 8100 and Pentosin. The X-Clean was $60/5L locally but I could order the Pentosin shipped to me for $54/5L. I see Rock Auto has now dropped it another $10 per jug so it would be only $45/5L if I bought it today.

My plan is to do a VOA when I open the bottle then UOA after 15,000km and if this oil is holding up well and stays cheap I'll run it through the warranty period then see how far I can go on change intervals. I drive about 30-35,000km/year so it would be nice if I am able to get down to annual oil changes.

copperbeech

Passed Driver's Ed
I decided I would like to try running 504.00 oils and due to limited local selection

Pennzoil Platinum EURO LX 0W30 is a 504 oil and reasonably readily available in Canada (I am in Ontario and have on order a case of it coming in a week or so)

My plan is to do a VOA when I open the bottle then UOA after 15,000km

If I can ask where are you in this plan? I am interested in the #s.

zero10

Ready to race!
Pennzoil Platinum EURO LX 0W30 is a 504 oil and reasonably readily available in Canada (I am in Ontario and have on order a case of it coming in a week or so)

If I can ask where are you in this plan? I am interested in the #s.

Where did you order from and what was the cost?

The Pentosin is now under $50/5L which is pretty reasonable to me.

For the Pennzoil, I saw 3x1L bottles at Canadian Tire for ~$14/each but they didn't have enough, didn't know when (or if) they were getting more and weren't priced very competitively.

As for where I'm at - just got back to work after the Christmas break. Scheduled to pass 10,000km on the trip home today and I do about 600km/week so I should get to 15,000km right around the first week of March. I've already got the sample containers (as I keep a few on hand) and will drop the samples (hopefully a UOA of the factory fill after 15,000km and a VOA of the Pentosin) off on my next trip to Calgary, likely mid-March or early April. I usually post my results over on BITOG and could post them here as well if it would be interesting.

Loonster

Ready to race!
Mobil 1 0w-40. Meets specifications foe VW (502 spec) Porsche and BMW. I have used Mobil 1 on all my cars and it has always done very well. Seems to run about 8F cooler than Castrol. In my opinion and the opinion of many others, M1 0w-40 is the best synthetic Mobil has ever made. It's noticeable especially on cold starts here in Minnesota. My Xterra sounded like a diesel on really cold days when I bought it until it warmed up. I think they recommended 5w-30 for it. I put M1 0w-40 and it smoothed right out even in -15F. It's easy to find and affordable too. I change my oil every 5k, no exceptions.

copperbeech

Passed Driver's Ed
Where did you order from and what was the cost?

bluewave energy....there are many BC locations.

http://www.bluewaveenergy.ca/locations/

To be honest I dont know :eek:. But I really wanted the 0W30 and it was readily available through bwave.

I've already got the sample containers (as I keep a few on hand) and will drop the samples (hopefully a UOA of the factory fill after 15,000km and a VOA of the Pentosin) off on my next trip to Calgary, likely mid-March or early April. I usually post my results over on BITOG and could post them here as well if it would be interesting.

Thanks...look forward to seeing the results.

zero10

Ready to race!
bluewave energy....there are many BC locations.

http://www.bluewaveenergy.ca/locations/

To be honest I dont know :eek:. But I really wanted the 0W30 and it was readily available through bwave.

Thanks...look forward to seeing the results.

Damn there's no locations within 200km of me :(

Oh well, I am interested in there being 0W30 504.00/507.00 certified oils though... I thought the spec mandated a 5W30 weight - perhaps they only mandate the hot viscosity (i.e. the W30 part) and I am misremembering?

Regardless, I will post my oil analysis reports here for all to see as they come in. I am expecting to post about 2 a year so the updates won't exactly be frequent :)

. In Canada they recommend Castrol it’s printed on the engine oil cap. 5W30 on the manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk