GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coolant warning light

jhileman79

Ready to race!
Twice over the past two weeks while driving at normal speed we had a low coolant light/running hot warning come on. The car was registering below 200 for temp. I pulled the car over turned off and waited for a minute and turned back on and no warning light. Has anyone else experienced this? Do I need to do anything?
Thanks for any help!

jhileman79

Ready to race!
Googled... added coolant... problem solved

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
If it happens again, you've likely got a leak.

Also add a little distilled water if you poured in straight coolant.

You used G13 right?

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
The Coolant light is not for temperature you have that on the display in front of you. The level should not go down at all as it is a sealed pressurized system. So either it has always been low or as said you have a leak. Check under the engine for the tell tale white deposit as a few including mine have had the thermostat housing replaced under warranty.

jhileman79

Ready to race!
If it happens again, you've likely got a leak.

Also add a little distilled water if you poured in straight coolant.

You used G13 right?

Thanks! I used the OAT VW Specific coolant for the GTI. It took 400ml and was back in line.

The Coolant light is not for temperature you have that on the display in front of you. The level should not go down at all as it is a sealed pressurized system. So either it has always been low or as said you have a leak. Check under the engine for the tell tale white deposit as a few including mine have had the thermostat housing replaced under warranty.

Thanks! I will check tonight when I get home.