GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Boss 500 Project

Cowzill00

Ready to race!
Good grief. I can't even make up stupid stuff that doesn't exist!! Don't google "stanced prius." You've been warned.

There's even one with FOUR exhaust tips! I sh!t you not.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Finally pulled the trigger on a BOSS 600. Anybody care to comment on the daily driving aspect when running a DSG? I'll probably be working towards full e85 so that might help some. I'm just hoping the late spool isn't unbearable, which is the exact opposite of the is20 which i feel is just way to torquey.

I’ve got the boss600 kit on a dsg R. I have zero issues with lag in my day to day driving. I’m not trying to say it’s not laggier than the IS38 was on a stage 2 tune, but all the posts I read warning about unbearable lag seem laughable to me personally. Maybe it’s the way I daily drive it, or UM’s tuning, or using the paddles allot but it’s a non issue to me. In S mode the tcu tuning always keeps it around 3500-4,000 rpm anyway, so in S mode she’s always near ready.

I’m tuned by UM and the best way I could describe their tcu tuning (for the big turbo) is now my D mode seems like my S mode when I was on the stock turbo running their stage 2 ecu and their tcu tune for the stage 2 software, and the S mode now for their big turbo ecu/tcu tune is much more aggressive at keeping the rpm’s up where the bigger turbo would be happiest when driving aggressively.

Sure if you floor it off a stoplight not using launch control in D mode at 800 rpm you’re waiting for the fun to begin until you get closer to 3500-4000 rpm but if I’m really trying to leave hard I’m using LC anyway. Otherwise it’s well worth the compromise for all the power on the top end for me and that it doesn’t bleed boost as the rpm’s rise always puts a smile on my face.

And just for full disclosure, I also have a 16 dsg R with just a vwr sealed intake and UM’s stage 1 ecu/tcu tune also, so I know for a fact their tcu tuning is completely changed for a big turbo setup, that and they told me when speaking with them, but yes it’s especially noticeable even if I hadn’t spoken with them if you can drive them back to back. I’m not sure what other tuning companies do with their tcu tuning if you go big turbo or if it’s essentially the same as their tcu tune for anyone running a stage 1/2 setup and their tcu tune. No doubt UM’s big turbo tcu tune is different than their tcu tune for stage 1/2 cars and works well with the boss600 kit!

Last edited:

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
I’ve got the boss600 kit on a dsg R. I have zero issues with lag in my day to day driving. I’m not trying to say it’s not laggier than the IS38 was on a stage 2 tune, but all the posts I read warning about unbearable lag seem laughable to me personally. Maybe it’s the way I daily drive it, or UM’s tuning, or using the paddles allot but it’s a non issue to me. In S mode the tcu tuning always keeps it around 3500-4,000 rpm anyway, so in S mode she’s always near ready.

I’m tuned by UM and the best way I could describe their tcu tuning (for the big turbo) is now my D mode seems like my S mode when I was on the stock turbo running their stage 2 ecu and their tcu tune for the stage 2 software, and the S mode now for their big turbo ecu/tcu tune is much more aggressive at keeping the rpm’s up where the bigger turbo would be happiest when driving aggressively.

Sure if you floor it off a stoplight not using launch control in D mode at 800 rpm you’re waiting for the fun to begin until you get closer to 3500-4000 rpm but if I’m really trying to leave hard I’m using LC anyway. Otherwise it’s well worth the compromise for all the power on the top end for me and that it doesn’t bleed boost as the rpm’s rise always puts a smile on my face.

And just for full disclosure, I also have a 16 dsg R with just a vwr sealed intake and UM’s stage 1 ecu/tcu tune also, so I know for a fact their tcu tuning is completely changed for a big turbo setup, that and they told me when speaking with them, but yes it’s especially noticeable even if I hadn’t spoken with them if you can drive them back to back. I’m not sure what other tuning companies do with their tcu tuning if you go big turbo or if it’s essentially the same as their tcu tune for anyone running a stage 1/2 setup and their tcu tune. No doubt UM’s big turbo tcu tune is different than their tcu tune for stage 1/2 cars and works well with the boss600 kit!

remember that gti and a3 have much longer gearing than golf r

613B6

Ready to race!
if the gear charts that i found are correct then these are the MPH at 6800rpm in each gear with a 25 inch tire ( r is slightly taller than 25 inch)
gti/a3 r/s3
1 36 36
2 59 58
3 93 81
4 136 109
5 184 141
6 230 (lol) 182

That's just depressing lol

613B6

Ready to race!
dq381 swap after the built engine? Id say 500, but if the figure's i've heard quoted for price are true then F that.

At least we can do 230mph. Whoo hoo!!!

Whats the gearing on the DQ381? And ya, the DG500 is just way to pricey, at that point Id just buy an RS3 lol.

importrx7

Ready to race!
I finally got to pull my turbo and another result from bad castings as my boss 600 has a beautiful crack inside the exhaust housing. Not even a year old so I will be sending it back to CTS for an obvious warranty repair because that should never happen. Cheap crap Chinese castings thanks CTS. What makes it even better is my V2 isn’t a true v2. It’s a v2 cold side and a v1 hot side. Unbelievably disappointed in CTS because it’s hasn’t worked right since I bought it.

Attachments

• F8B75C5C-7C29-4C28-A9E3-640EAC886A43.jpeg
    F8B75C5C-7C29-4C28-A9E3-640EAC886A43.jpeg
    345.9 KB · Views: 527

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
I finally got to pull my turbo and another result from bad castings as my boss 600 has a beautiful crack inside the exhaust housing. Not even a year old so I will be sending it back to CTS for an obvious warranty repair because that should never happen. Cheap crap Chinese castings thanks CTS. What makes it even better is my V2 isn’t a true v2. It’s a v2 cold side and a v1 hot side. Unbelievably disappointed in CTS because it’s hasn’t worked right since I bought it.

Sorry to hear! Seems that a few CTS units suffered similar failures.

jiannu

Ready to race!

I think the hot side is the same so o need to change it out. If you see the site, it only shows the cold side....

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

importrx7

Ready to race!
I think the hot side is the same so o need to change it out. If you see the site, it only shows the cold side....

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Wastegate arm changed on V2, I’ve got pictures of someone else’s v2 and it looks nothing like mine. I won’t be replacing anything, CTS will be!!! I’m not spending 3k for something that cracks not even 9 months after install.