GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question about upgrading brakes.

Joed3dtg

Situation: I daily drive a 2015 MK7 GTI S APR stage2+ on the highway about 35 miles a day. Occasionally I drive it like it should be when no one is around. However the stock brakes are not enough for my current setup.

Q: My current brakes are not PP. If wanted to go big brakes, what do I need to do?

I see PP (you know what I mean) and Non PP when shopping online. Any input is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
What do you see as the limitations of your current brakes? Articulating those limitations will help answer your question.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
NQSBBK, or BBK, or just plain upgrades?... several threads on this in this forum sub section...

RS3 air ducts are a must..I did a thread about it...even just better discs & pads/fluid will help...

If you can fit a PP/R set for peanuts buy it..otherwise you can get TTS 4 pot monoblocks to fit the 338mm discs..straight bolt on..but pad swap requires caliper removal..which is two 200NM bolts...

no issue for some people...

do you want cheapness..or lightest?...or biggest...

Joed3dtg

What do you see as the limitations of your current brakes? Articulating those limitations will help answer your question.
Mainly improved stopping distance when approaching moderate traffic and I tend to brake late (bad habbit), resulting in heavier use of the brakes.

Joed3dtg

NQSBBK, or BBK
I don't have clue what either are to be honest.

RS3 air ducts are a must..
Definitely gonna check this out.

do you want cheapness..or lightest?...or biggest...
No real preference other than my budget is capped currently at $1500 for this upgrade. And the front rotors and pads are in need replacing now. So why not knock it out...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I don't have clue what either are to be honest.

Definitely gonna check this out.

No real preference other than my budget is capped currently at $1500 for this upgrade. And the front rotors and pads are in need replacing now. So why not knock it out...

Not quite so big brake brake kit...or big brake kit....:cool:

& $1500 is plenty to get a nice full on kit...

Swoope

Ready to race!
Mainly improved stopping distance when approaching moderate traffic and I tend to brake late (bad habbit), resulting in heavier use of the brakes.

braking distance is controlled by tires. as long as pads are able to activate abs the tires are in control.

beers

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
braking distance is controlled by tires. as long as pads are able to activate abs the tires are in control.

beers

+1

Better brakes are not going to achieve better braking distance if you're maxing out the tires.

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
I noticed my Audi A8 stops super hard with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s compared to the factory Continentals. Also my Alltrack with Firestone Firehawk 500. Tires make a HUGE difference!