GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Scheduled Maintenance

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
Ok so I replaced the plugs with brisks, under no load (max RPM in neutral), or below 3000RPM in any gear it's great. The second I lay into it, I get cylinder 1,2,3 and random cylinder misfire codes. Didn't fuck with the gap, 32 I think if I remember correctly. Do I need to go back to stock, upgrade coils, or close the gap? Not that factory plugs were at 35 when they came out

First set of Brisk I have seen above .028. You get ER12S?

SHCKR

Ready to race!
Bad news. The misfire is back. They are ER12S. Misfire above 80% load. Not sure what to do at this point. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Bad news. The misfire is back. They are ER12S. Misfire above 80% load. Not sure what to do at this point. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Are the plugs torqued to spec?

If they are under torqued they could loosen up over time, we've seen that before.

18ft lbs ( 24 NM)

Cowzill00

Ready to race!
What are you driving, and are you tuned or stock? I assume this isn't the 1908 Model T.

I know Brisks are recommended for the 1 step colder on tuned cars. Wondering if they would cause an issue on an untuned car.

SHCKR

Ready to race!
The plugs are torqued to spec, and I'll check when I get home to see if they're still tight. I only installed them 3 days ago and re-gapped and re-installed two days ago, so if they come loose that quickly, then that's just crazy.

I'm driving a 15 GTI on 93 1.5 ED. Have been with that tune for 30,000 miles on stock plugs (20,000 miles before that on the same plugs). The second I installed the brisks, started having misfire issue. Then I re-gapped, and it went away, now it's back this morning.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
The plugs are torqued to spec, and I'll check when I get home to see if they're still tight. I only installed them 3 days ago and re-gapped and re-installed two days ago, so if they come loose that quickly, then that's just crazy.

I'm driving a 15 GTI on 93 1.5 ED. Have been with that tune for 30,000 miles on stock plugs (20,000 miles before that on the same plugs). The second I installed the brisks, started having misfire issue. Then I re-gapped, and it went away, now it's back this morning.

Easy check, replace with stock plugs real quick go for a drive, if no misfires then the plugs you replaced with can be damaged or poorly gapped. Look for cracks and damage on the brisks.

SHCKR

Ready to race!
Easy check, replace with stock plugs real quick go for a drive, if no misfires then the plugs you replaced with can be damaged or poorly gapped. Look for cracks and damage on the brisks.

Well of course I already threw away the stock plugs. Should I buy another set of stock or should I get another set of aftermarket plugs, like IKH's and give that a try?

Perhaps the 1.5 tune is not enough to run a colder plug and that's why it's misfiring?

In order to eliminate all culprits I'm thinking of maybe just doing this? https://www.hstuning.com/ignition-service-kit-4-pack-rs3-coils-rs7-plugs.html

Last edited:

Hoon

Autocross Champion
It should still run fine, the ER12S isn't a super cold race plug. There's something abnormal going on here.

Hans

Ready to race!
Battery up to snuff? Wonky things can happen under load if not.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Ok just went and bought stock plugs.... Same issue.... Must have fucked up my coils by stretching them

I have a full set of good stock coils. $50 shipped.

PM me if you want them...although I would double check all the connectors on your existing coils and harness before buying anything.

SHCKR

Ready to race!
The crazy thing is it worked fine after I reduced the gap... Something is loose or something...I think it maybe where the spring inside the boot is making the contact with the coil, is it supposed to be attached in any way or just free floating in the boot?