GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NJ/NY VW dealership

mk8

Looking into buying my first VW car (GTI) either 2018 model or wait till 2019 hit the showroom..

Here is my plan... SE trim... I will finance for couple of months then pay off in full...

Any recommend dealer to buy my first car? Any guide how bargin with dealer or what to expect talking to them ?

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Looking into buying my first VW car (GTI) either 2018 model or wait till 2019 hit the showroom..

Any recommend dealer to buy my first car? Any guide how bargin with dealer or what to expect talking to them ?

You first need to decide which year, model and options you want. Look on cars.com to see if the dealers in your area have what you want. After that, you have a lot to consider before you talk to anyone. Trading a car? Paying cash, financing through VW or your own credit union, insurance, current incentives and which ones you are eligible for, if you qualify as a VW partner or want to join a VW partner program. Then, armed with all this information, you can look at all dealerships in your area, starting with the closest one and working your way out. Tell them what you want and see what each offers. Shouldn't be that much of a difference. When you get all of the offers you might want to call dealers in the DC/MD area to see if they can do better.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
This is what i did when i bought mine.

- Looked into different trim levels in a nearby dealership and finalized what i exactly wanted.
- Built a similar vehicle in VW webpage to know the MSRP including destination fee.
- Picked 10 different dealers who had lowest price for a similar vehicle using cars.com.
- Chose a specific car from corresponding dealer inventory page and read the fine note to see what are their additional charges.
- Email the dealer saying, this is the car i want and this is what i am willing to pay (including delivery and documentation fee).
- 7 out of 10 dealers got back.
- Negotiated everything through email or phone (sale price was around $6500 off sticker).
- Once the price was agreed, got my loan approved through my credit union.
- Checked with the nearby dealership to see if they can match the deal. Their quote was $4500 more than negotiated price and they said it was impossible.
- Stepped into the negotiated dealership to sign paperwork and was out in 30 minutes.

Any guide how bargin with dealer or what to expect talking to them ?

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6 - this section should have plenty of information about this.

mbzhp

After being in contact with several NY/NJ/PA dealerships recently looking for a SportWagen (got one today!) I can say that Hudson Valley VW in NY was the best to work with, the most honest, and being in NY, they're not allowed to pad the price of the car with ridiculous $400-$500 "documentation" fees.

North Penn in PA was also excellent and professional.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Great.. good to know.. thanks!!! Should I tell them ahead of time or after the bargin?

I would after you get the best deal. Don't join until you're sure you're getting the best deal and want to buy from them, AND THE DEALSHIP PARTICIPATES.

You can call the SCCA (as long as they're open) on the spot, give them a credit card number and get your membership number over the phone. You print out a coupon right from their website. Dealers of course have Internet and printers.

I have an R, and they are never eligible. :(

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
hint when doing on-line negotiation: set up an alias email account.

props to Valenti VW of Watertown CT. I even got price on my trade in before they saw it. They did say "It has to be as described"

Oscar LaVista

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE 6MT
+1 on joining the SCCA if your employer doesn't have a partner deal with VW. Mine does but I joined SCCA anyway, because GTI.

I was pleased with Lash VW in White Plains. But it won't hurt to research what the MD/VA dealers are offering and use that for leverage. Also know what it will cost you in time and money to actually go to MD/VA to buy a car so you know how hard you want to push for the lowest price.

mk8

Spoke to 4 to 5 dealers in my area. Seem like they are very firm with the SE trim.. lowest i was able to get is $3200 before TTL.

nate704

Go Kart Champion
If you want the best price on GTI and R, please pm/email me so I can connect you to my guy at Stohlman VW who will beat any price for both in and out of state.

Oscar LaVista

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE 6MT
Spoke to 4 to 5 dealers in my area. Seem like they are very firm with the SE trim.. lowest i was able to get is $3200 before TTL.

$32000?! Edit: Or $30200? $30200 is the partner price, so that's not awful.

Which dealers did you go to? Were any of them recommended in this thread?

Step 1: Join SCCA.
Step 2: Get the partner plan certificate
Step 3: research the prices from the DC area dealers, call them and confirm the deal is applicable to your situation
Step 4: see the PM I will be sending you in a second.
Step 5: Do you have family or friends who have experience in buying a car?

I paid $27850 +TTT for my 2018 6MT Leather 3 months ago in White Plains.

Last edited: