GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I may have a mouse in the engine bay.

1stGTI1

Passed Driver's Ed
When I had my e34, rats likes to eat snail on top of my valve cover.

I put in a rat trap and caught one, after that no more rat using my valve cover as a dinner table.

SpaceGhost

Ready to race!
Maybe it was in the engine bay but I doubt it is living there. I have heard of mice nesting in cars sitting but never one being driven daily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

acapvwgti

Ready to race!
Maybe it was in the engine bay but I doubt it is living there. I have heard of mice nesting in cars sitting but never one being driven daily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed and thankful of that.

I left 3 traps in the garage and a sticky trap on the battery cover and nothing. So I’m thinkin a lone mouse got into the garage but didn’t decide to stay.

acapvwgti

Ready to race!
lol first night caught one

billmesh

Passed Driver's Ed
I had some rodent chew through my oil level sensor wire. Those dicks at VW wouldn't even cover it under warranty :)

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Check your cabin filter; mice like to build their nests in different places depending on the car, but you'll almost always see them nesting atop the engine or in the blower fan housing, as they're the warmest places which offer an easy supply of nesting material.

Wass

Passed Driver's Ed
We have 6 cats. And 2 dogs. But the cats are strictly indoor, and down here, they really have to be, or bad things happen. Does it make sense to let a cat or three roam the garage occasionally and leave their scent out there? Would that help keep the rodents out? I haven't done much research on the topic yet. We have about another 2 months before we'll be in the new place.

The view out the massive 3-car garage...

Cat scent alone will not keep mice out of your garage. I keep a cat in my barn. There are mice in the barn, and sometimes even in a separate room where the cat sleeps (until he catches them). Sometimes I need to set a trap when he is lazy or just being fed too well.

H

Huntermike

Bump!

I made an appointment for a warranty repair at the dealer(key fob). Before I bring it in I wanted to inspect my air filters so they don't try to tell me I need replacements.

I found a mouse nest in the bottom of the airbox. I must praise VW engineers for putting the snow guard inside since he was not able to get past it to the filter. The filter had a bit of insulation in it but no harm done.

I'll complain a bit about the torx screws holding the cover on.

2 years ago mice lived in the airbox of my VFR and messed up the filter and chewed a bit of the intake tract. Again, the engineers of the airbox put a wire mesh behind the filter element and that saved the throttle bodies from damage.

For those in colder climates, now is the time to check!

christianpalmq

My uncle had something similar happen, his car seat for a bit and I guess VW has some sort of liquid they put in the tubes that attracts animals. Maybe that's true idk, just what I've heard. Anyways they chewed through the ECU and he had to get it replaced (under warrenty lucky)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Traps with peanut butter. Don't feel bad because mice reproduce like crazy and for every one you kill there will be five more born the next day. As electriceye said, put the traps against the walls and in corners since mice follow walls in the dark. Also put them near small openings such as the edges of the garage door by the weatherstripping and near any vents or drains

I had mice in my apartment garage and after I saw one drop out of my camry when I started it, then chopped another ones head off with my radiator fan in the GTI the next day, I bought 4 traps. Set them up when I got home from work and every morning for the next week, all 4 traps needed emptied and reset. One day one of the traps disappeared. I never found it. Wonder if a rat got in it and wandered off with it still clamped to its nose

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
The wires are created using peanut oil as a lubricant to help them slide into the harness easier. Rodents like the oil and so they chew and chew.

Often times insurance will cover rodent damage.

Drader

Passed Driver's Ed
We had a kangaroo rat living in our Acura MDX engine. He would make a nest on the battery, and hide deep in the intake manifold, or frame. I didn't take it all that seriously and that was a big mistake. After just a few days he caused a ton of damage in the engine bay, including chewing through part of the wiring harness. If this happens - your car is totaled. Replacing a wiring harness, or even secondary harness costs thousands and few people do that work. In this case he chewed through the knock sensor wire. I had to remove the upper, mid, and lower intake manifold to replace this $6 wire. Interestingly - the new wire is encased in a plastic made of chili peppers! It is a common issue. I highly recommend everyone buy a bag of those green cubes of delicious poison, and put a couple inside every engine bay.