GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Android Auto and Bluetooth/Message Permissions?

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hello,

First, I think this may be a phone issue and not a car issue. I may be wrong. Still, I cannot think of a better place to ask this question:

I've been using Android Auto (AA) a lot lately. I've noticed that the phone displays the permissions prompts EVERY time I unplug my phone from the MIB2 USB port. It may ask for some permissions when I plug in, but I'm not sure because I use a D-Dock and cannot access the phone display at that point. It asks permission to "Allow access to your data" (with the link for "Other USB options"), "Allow access to messages," and sometimes others that I cannot recall at the moment.

Of course, my answer is ALWAYS "Allow." It's annoying to get asked every time. None of my other devices do this... only the car. Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a way to permanently grant permission and avoid these prompts? It's especially annoying when I unplug my phone and want to use it, but have to answer the prompts first.

My phone is a Galaxy S7 Edge running Android 8.0.0 (Oreo).

Thanks!

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
I've seen this as well on mine too. It's almost as if the car loses the pairing, I have the d-dock as well. What I've got in to the habit of doing is turning on bluetooth first wait a second or two until it connects to the car, then insert the phone into the dock. That stops mine from asking for permissions because it makes the bluetooth connection first.

Before you do any of that it may be worthwhile to check your app settings for AA and just make sure all permissions are granted, same thing with google maps or waze.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
My phone gives the permission prompt any time it connects to bluetooth ever since the MIB I to II retrofit. Doesn't matter if before after being plugged in for Android Auto.

I responded to the prompt "allow" the first couple days but have ignored it ever since with no apparent consequence. I still get the "new message from xxxx" notification and ability to listen/respond from Android Auto.

If not using Android Auto, i.e. only connected to bluetooth, is there even a way to access messages? My contacts/call history show up even though I don't respond to the permission request. I'm not even sure what the car wants access to, but it is annoying.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
My phone gives the permission prompt any time it connects to bluetooth ever since the MIB I to II retrofit. Doesn't matter if before after being plugged in for Android Auto.

I responded to the prompt "allow" the first couple days but have ignored it ever since with no apparent consequence. I still get the "new message from xxxx" notification and ability to listen/respond from Android Auto.

If not using Android Auto, i.e. only connected to bluetooth, is there even a way to access messages? My contacts/call history show up even though I don't respond to the permission request. I'm not even sure what the car wants access to, but it is annoying.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Yes there is - go to the Phone screen and look at the bottom menu.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Thanks for the input, guys. I've tried a few things with no luck. One thing I hadn't considered is simply pressing the phone's HOME button as soon as the prompts appear. It's not ideal, but it's fast and easy. I'll live with it. I'm curious to see how my next phone behaves with this.

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
I don't think the message has anything to do with Android Auto since the car has nothing to do with it, your phone is doing all the work and just sending an image to the cars screen.

I believe the message is in relation to viewing the text message on the infotainment screen when Android Auto is not connected. If I receive a text without AA connected I get an envelope icon on the top right corner of the screen and going into the phone screen and pressing the message icon lets the car read the message to me. The permission message popping up is the car asking for access to texts.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Before you do any of that it may be worthwhile to check your app settings for AA and just make sure all permissions are granted, same thing with google maps or waze.

AA had all permissions on my last phone (Galaxy S8), but it still gave me the prompts, which I never see until the next time I look at my phone, after reaching my destination.
Just upgraded to an S9+, same permissions, and it does the same thing the old phone did. I think it's something in the AA/VW setup.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
Quick bump to see if there's any news on this. I've been dealing with this issue across 3 phones now (Samsung S8, Pixel 2, Pixel 4) and it did not happen in the Kia rental car (with AA) I had for a week.

I will try out the tip in post #2 above, which seems similar to post #17 here (both of those are about starting the car) and then there's also the top comment here (which is about shutting off the car).

Any other known workarounds? Might there be a MIB2 software update the dealer could install (hopefully complementary given this fairly well-documented issue)?

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Quick bump to see if there's any news on this. I've been dealing with this issue across 3 phones now (Samsung S8, Pixel 2, Pixel 4) and it did not happen in the Kia rental car (with AA) I had for a week.
I went out this morning and checked mine (I really don't use AA since the car generally does everything I need it to without needing to plug in my phone save for my gripe about random playing music off an SD card) and I see I get a notice asking to access data over USB but the prompt disappears so fast I can't select Allow. After that, AA works but for some reason VLC is not reading the phone's SD card and can't play any music! Unplug the phone and VLC works fine.

Not sure what's going on but it's likely due to an AA update. I might uninstall and reinstall AA to see if that changes anything.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Mines been doing this since day one in my '18R. It's annoying as fuck, but I've grown to ignore it.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

kch

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
19 R DSG; 15 BRZ s.b

I will try out the tip in post #2 above, which seems similar to post #17 here (both of those are about starting the car) and then there's also the top comment here (which is about shutting off the car).

Any other known workarounds? Might there be a MIB2 software update the dealer could install (hopefully complementary given this fairly well-documented issue)?

Try letting the computers boot up fully before connecting to AA. That fixed it for me. Just wait like 30 seconds, tops.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
OP here...

Mines been doing this since day one in my '18R. It's annoying as fuck, but I've grown to ignore it.
Try letting the computers boot up fully before connecting to AA. That fixed it for me. Just wait like 30 seconds, tops.

I've learned to just ignore it. It's quite possible that the prompt clears itself after 30 seconds. However, I don't notice because the phone quickly winds up either in my pocket or in my D-Dock.

Scott