GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aisin 09G durability

llibgrebnek

Ready to race!
I’m thinking of getting an automatic hatchback and going IS38 on it. Any issues I may face with the trans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
So far no issues, but I only have around 25k on it. JB1 since 5,000, then JB4, IS20 since 12,000 miles. I know a guy on Facebook that has over 100k on his. He's been JB4 and IS20 for most of them. He did a trans service at 65k.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Also have 25k on my car, with about 15k of that being tuned. Worked my way up from stage 1, 2, to APR's IS20 tune with down pipe. Transmission has been holding strong so far, and I haven't had any slippage. Remember reading that some Tiguan folks are running K04 tunes with the 09g with no issue. If memory serves, they see awd torque at around 350lb ft on the dyno.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

llibgrebnek

Ready to race!
Also have 25k on my car, with about 15k of that being tuned. Worked my way up from stage 1, 2, to APR's IS20 tune with down pipe. Transmission has been holding strong so far, and I haven't had any slippage. Remember reading that some Tiguan folks are running K04 tunes with the 09g with no issue. If memory serves, they see awd torque at around 350lb ft on the dyno.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Cool. I appreciate the feedback. After things settle regarding my leaking Alltrack, I’m torn between getting a lighter Golf wagon FWD auto (with NO sunroof!!) vs a hatchback auto.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Vote: manual

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Cool. I appreciate the feedback. After things settle regarding my leaking Alltrack, I’m torn between getting a lighter Golf wagon FWD auto (with NO sunroof!!) vs a hatchback auto.

Why a hatchback golf auto when you could get a GTI? coming from an Alltrack, you can clearly afford one.

I realize the wording is a little rough, but im just curious as to your reasoning for a Golf w/ 1.8 and torque converter when you could get a 2.0T w/ DSG

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Well speaking for myself, money saved is money that can be put elsewhere. According to Edmunds, the list price for a used 2016 TSI goes between 14 and 16 grand. A GTI on the other hand comes out to be around 17 to 25 grand in comparison. With the 1.8 being notably cheaper, that leaves more money on the table for mods, something OP is clearly interested in. With APR's is38 tune, the sportwagon gets 313 all wheel tq/hp compared to the 2.0's 360tq, 330hp. That seems fairly down, but keep in mind the dyno numbers for the wagon are with AWD. Assuming a powertrain loss of around 5% for driving all four wheels that gives us roughly 330tq/hp (reality is probably a touch different).

Frankly if you are going to mod the car from the get go, either get a 1.8 or a GTI with the performance pack. The DSG is a bit nicer of a transmission, but the 09g (having driven in both mind you) is no slouch in comparison. With the money saved on going with the lower displacement golf, you can pump it into suspension and drivetrain mods to handily surpass what a GTI comes stock with. The two feathers in the GTI's cap in my mind is the ability for the DSG to house a LSD, and the tougher crankshaft allowing the block to go further if you really do want to start chasing big numbers. But if is38 power is all you want to go for the 1.8.

Though I will say this logic only works if you're willing to do the labor yourself like I did. If you would rather a shop do the installs, the costs will rack up quickly enough to warrant just getting a GTI. Heck the only time I let a shop work on my golf, they nearly ruined everything had it not been for my engine mounts.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
I'm curious about this article as it mainly covers model years between 2004 and 08. The earliest examples here are transmissions that were built more than a decade before the Mk7 hit stateside. I have trouble believing that VW would go that long without issuing a single revision for the transmission to address any of the aforementioned issues.

Not to say they're a 100% bulletproof piece of kit (nothing is) but with a good chunk of mk7's starting to get decent mileage now, I've yet to hear any chronic issues pertaining to the auto.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
One reason to like the TSI over the GTI is more interior color choices. Unless you really dig dungeon black.

Beige interior is a major win in hot climates.especially if you have no little ones hurling cheerios.

My auto is a little quirky with 3-2 downshifts. If I forget I'm driving in manual mode, the 3-2 can be rather rude.

mk7_gsw

Forgetting one other factor 1.8 is a win, insurance. for me and my area in Socal a GTI is much more expensive to insure then my lowly Sportwagen. Were talking almost $83 more a month.

llibgrebnek

Ready to race!
One big thing for me (having been a vehicle development engineer for too many decades!) is the subjectively better launch feel of the torque converter vs the wet clutch of the DSG.

The torque converter trans permits a more gentle (less boosty) launch. This is evident especially in warm weather when heat soak saps low rpm spark and torque, eliciting a deeper stab on the throttle for desired driveaway feel, which often results in a rapid boost onset followed by a driver-initiated closing of the throttle causing the herky-jerkies (technical term [emoji2957]).

Also, having experienced this trans in my stg 2 APR tuned Passat, higher torque 2nd year start ups minimize wheel spin and traction control intervention. I only had that car for 25k miles and experienced no ill effects.

Another thing is the lower highway rpm (and better FE) with the Aisin trans for more serene cruising.

Finally, the Golf is about 300 lb lighter than the Alltrack which effectively “adds” 30hp worth of performance feel (and 3 mph in 1/4 mile).