GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Time to do 40k DSG service.

DAS_STIG

Banned
When I did my service it was like 90 degrees outside adn my fluid wasn't entirely cool after waiting for two hours for it to cool. it wasn't hot , but it definitely was not ambient temperature. Hopefully this wasn't an issue. So far so good after 1000 miles

Ambient temperature won't matter since the fluid you're putting in would also be warmed up so density should be the same. As long as the fluid you were taking out wasn't scalding you it was probably fine since it probably was not over 120*F. I doubt a 20-30*F would make much difference in volume so should be fine.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
One thing I’m not clear on. Is the car supposed to be level and RUNNING when checking volume after the new fluid is added?

If you want to be picky you should hook up VCDS and check it when the fluid reaches the bottom of tbe allowable temp range. If you're doing it while cold by drain and measure it won't matter as long as the new fluid is the same temp as the car.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I honestly don't think the fill-drain method is that difficult:
1. Remove plug and snorkel, drain
2. Reinstall plug and snorkel when drained.
3. Remove filter, pour in 5q fluid through filter hole
4. Install new filter, run car using OBDEleven to monitor temp between 35-45c
5. When in range, leave car running and remove plug, letting drain till the main stream stops and its just spattering/trickles here and there.
6. Reinstall drain plug, done.

I don't even jack the car up to do this. At stock ride height theres plenty of room to do everything without needing to get under the car, just slide a pan under there.

But I completely understand everyone does what they feel is best, this is just my 2 cents :)

DAS_STIG

Banned
I honestly don't think the fill-drain method is that difficult:
1. Remove plug and snorkel, drain
2. Reinstall plug and snorkel when drained.
3. Remove filter, pour in 5q fluid through filter hole
4. Install new filter, run car using OBDEleven to monitor temp between 35-45c
5. When in range, leave car running and remove plug, letting drain till the main stream stops and its just spattering/trickles here and there.
6. Reinstall drain plug, done.

I don't even jack the car up to do this. At stock ride height theres plenty of room to do everything without needing to get under the car, just slide a pan under there.

But I completely understand everyone does what they feel is best, this is just my 2 cents :)

This method works if you don't have an OBDEleven or vag-com.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Love this thread and look forward to doing mine next year. One question for Supermoto/all.

In step 5 above this is the outermost (main) drain plug. Correct? The same one that is removed in step 1.

If I understand correctly, after the refill and getting up to proper temp the main plug is removed and a small amount of drainage is expected. When the old fluid is drained in step 1 does the same small amount come out with the main plug and the vast majority of fluid comes out after the snorkel is removed?

Just trying to understand exactly what happens when the main plug is removed at beginning and end. Info is much appreciated!

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Love this thread and look forward to doing mine next year. One question for Supermoto/all.

In step 5 above this is the outermost (main) drain plug. Correct? The same one that is removed in step 1.

If I understand correctly, after the refill and getting up to proper temp the main plug is removed and a small amount of drainage is expected. When the old fluid is drained in step 1 does the same small amount come out with the main plug and the vast majority of fluid comes out after the snorkel is removed?

Just trying to understand exactly what happens when the main plug is removed at beginning and end. Info is much appreciated!

In step 1 you remove the plug and the internal snorkel. When removing the outer plug, a little fluid will come out, but a much higher volume of fluid comes out upon snorkel removal. Then you put everything back in and fill it, warm it up, then only remove the outer plug to drain to the proper level with the car running in park.

Also, remember while warming it up to cycle the gear selector between Park, neutral, reverse, drive, etc. Do that for like 2 minutes while waiting for the car to warm up the fluid. Furthermore, if you have OBDEleven you should run the DSG adaptation after performing the fluid change.

Here is a revised step by step:

1. Remove outer plug and inner snorkel, let it all drain.
2. Reinstall snorkel and outer plug when drained to satisfaction.
3. Remove filter, pour in 5q fluid through filter hole.
4. Install new filter, run car using OBDEleven to monitor temp between 35-45c, cycle between park, neutral, reverse, drive, etc while waiting.
5. When in range, leave car running in park and remove outer plug, letting drain till the main stream stops and its just spattering/trickles here and there.
6. Reinstall drain plug.
7. Run DSG adaptation if you have OBDEleven.
8. Drive around then check for any leaks.

This funnel has an end that fits perfectly into the oil filter hole to allow easy filling of the DSG. Remove the mesh filter in the funnel to let the fluid transfer faster. This is the fluid I use, great product and great price.

Before the first time I did this, it sounded a bit like working with an armed bomb. I was considering taking it to a local shop for around 300 bucks, but I figured if I followed the steps and was careful it should be ok (plus I saw doing it DIY only cost around $110). Turns out it was just as easy as doing an oil change, theres just more steps in between. I encourage anyone to go for it, it's not as hard as people make it sound.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule

It looks like they show in the video. Since the engine's off and the hot fluid expands and isn't circulating you get a little more from the big plug. If the transmission's cold you'll get less. I had a friend with a lift and a pump help me so the car was pretty hot when we changed it. If the trans is cold you might be able to pull the dip tube at the same time.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
This funnel has an end that fits perfectly into the oil filter hole to allow easy filling of the DSG. Remove the mesh filter in the funnel to let the fluid transfer faster.

That funnel does fit perfectly, but a word of caution. Amazon shipped mine in a box that was too small and bent the hose. In doing so they cracked the end of the funnel (blue part, a lot of super glue and hot glue reinforcement fixed this) and the hose became permanently deformed from being bent and I had to pinch it back the opposite way and hold it while filling or else it would block the flow of fluid through the hose. Still worked, but it was frustrating.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
That funnel does fit perfectly, but a word of caution. Amazon shipped mine in a box that was too small and bent the hose. In doing so they cracked the end of the funnel (blue part, a lot of super glue and hot glue reinforcement fixed this) and the hose became permanently deformed from being bent and I had to pinch it back the opposite way and hold it while filling or else it would block the flow of fluid through the hose. Still worked, but it was frustrating.

That does sound frustrating. In those situations I always contact amazon and they are more than happy to express ship a replacement/give full refund and allow you to keep the product. Perhaps they got multiple complaints like yours leading them to ship in bigger boxes, as mine arrived in a box that was comically large for the product inside :D

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
That does sound frustrating. In those situations I always contact amazon and they are more than happy to express ship a replacement/give full refund and allow you to keep the product. Perhaps they got multiple complaints like yours leading them to ship in bigger boxes, as mine arrived in a box that was comically large for the product inside :D

Contacted them to no avail. In fact, you can probably see my review on the product page if you sort by most recent haha. Another thing to note, it did leak slightly from the valve portion of it - not to do with the crack, but it was a minuscule leak that was not a big issue