GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ENGINE BLEW UP ON ME! HELP!!

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Well it started running funky so I took it to a shop and they told me one of my cylinders preignited and the spark plug blew up. Destroying the block.
Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Verify that the spark plug destroyed the block. I am having a hard time believing pre-ignition destroyed your block. Engine may be toast, but doubt it was pre-ignition that caused it. Fairly easy to remove plug and look down in the cylinder and also test compression. From there I would make a decision. If it truly is the block, then I would get a used engine which should run you $2 to 2.5K and have replaced. Should be approximately $1K for labor.

mk7Gashi

Passed Driver's Ed
You need a second opinion and possibly a new shop. You taking anything this shop says as gospel puts you in a bad place as a customer. Financed for 9K from who? This shop? That would explain why they were working so hard to sell you a used engine for 7K.

Like others said, find your own engine. If it were me, I'd buy a new OEM engine off ebay, you can get one shipped to your door for about 5,000. Then have a shop install it. shouldn't be more than 7K out the door.

There's plenty of these engines both used and new for much less than this shop is telling you.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-VW...285580&hash=item43e5eae5d7:g:HHsAAOSwEgVWTfjd

I’m having a used engine with 15k getting installed in my car for 6k with labor included

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pamwith2ms

Passed Driver's Ed
You caused roots in people's failed equipment!

Fluffer?
Yeah, that missing valve will definitely cause a loss of compression. Cool picture, thanks for sharing. I always have a morbid curiosity about how equipment fails, perhaps from years of root causing equipment failures at my job.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

VWTURBOFAM

Ready to race!
Quick question. Ur in New Mexico? Did that car originally come from a NM dealership or was it from another state/location? The reason I ask is, IF that car came from like Texas (low elevation) and 93 Ocatane available and tuned for low elevation and then you bought it in NM with high elevation with only 91 Ocatane available, then the tune is very risky to run safely. Dealerships don't know any different, they just take a car that's traded in and sell it as is. Usually, though they flash it back to stock, but some don't.

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
Quick question. Ur in New Mexico? Did that car originally come from a NM dealership or was it from another state/location? The reason I ask is, IF that car came from like Texas (low elevation) and 93 Ocatane available and tuned for low elevation and then you bought it in NM with high elevation with only 91 Ocatane available, then the tune is very risky to run safely. Dealerships don't know any different, they just take a car that's traded in and sell it as is. Usually, though they flash it back to stock, but some don't.

APR stage 2 is nondiscriminant of elevation or other things i'm pretty sure. I also have reason to believe the 93 tune running 91 isn't going to kill it though, but who knows. I thought there were safety parameters run so APR tunes wouldn't blow an engine for running a lower octane. Their tune however...

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI

Our ECUs run load-based maps, not boost-based, so it should adapt to elevation changes.

These are not Subarus :p

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
I would like to take a moment of silence.

OP hasn’t been here this thread in 4 months, he’s been MIA.

Life, like this thread, continues to live on.

RIP OP.

danall

Passed Driver's Ed
OP hasn’t been here this thread in 4 months, he’s been MIA.

Yup,thats one of my pet peeves, a guy does multiple posts about an emergency situation, then disappears with no followup on the resolution after getting all kinds of advice, I really would like folks to have the courtesy of providing a followup to a given problem after others took the time to provide responses.

RHaas

Car(s)
2015 Golf Wagan
Hey Guys, just wanted to pop in and say I have similar issue. I have the Gen3 1.8T. APR Stage 1 tune and fried a piston. Sidewall cracked / skirt damage. I was on the 91 octane tune + APR intake, using colder plug. Had the tune on the car about 20k Miles. Car started to misfire and I found compression loss in cylinder, after further inspection found the damage.. I am on fence if the tune contributed to the failure or if weak and defective internals. I have no way of proving either way.

I now have mixed feelings about these engines being able to handle these tunes. After much research I found there are many examples of this happening but then there are others who have yet to have any issue at all?

Are there different revisions of the pistons and engines? Is the piston in the Gen3 2015 same as the 2016,17,18?

I don't know with 100% what caused my failure but after reading of many other similar occurrences I feel like the tune contributed. In the process of having the engine replaced.

Last edited:

adam1991

Banned
Of course the tune contributed.

The engineering is designed to accommodate some range of material and manufacturing tolerances. When you tune, you risk stressing things at the lower end of the tolerance range.

They don't call it pay to play for nothing.

Sure, some items are at the higher end of the tolerance range--and those owners reap the rewards if they tune.

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
APR tunes are known for being more aggressive than most, that clearly doesn't help reliability

RHaas

Car(s)
2015 Golf Wagan
I haven't here of any engine failures with GIAC tunes. Due to it being less aggressive I suppose. May give it a try once I recover from this. Or Not. Car is boring without the extra punch. From what I read it seems the consensus is GIAC is more safe and reliable.