GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

Swoope

Ready to race!
i thought i had posted in this thread before. what a huge amount of useful info here!

thanks jake.

beers

HighQuality_H20

Passed Driver's Ed
should i buy this and put it on a stock exhaust??????????????

ECS Exhaust Cutout

ECS STORE LINK https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembled-by-ecs-parts/exhaust-cutout-kit-25-with-double-apex-oe-switch/020923ecs02-02kt/
ECS Youtube Commerical: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0ZRpVNSaGs

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
should i buy this and put it on a stock exhaust??????????????

ECS Exhaust Cutout

ECS STORE LINK https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembled-by-ecs-parts/exhaust-cutout-kit-25-with-double-apex-oe-switch/020923ecs02-02kt/
ECS Youtube Commerical: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0ZRpVNSaGs

Copy pasted from your thread:
In my opinion, don't do it. Our engines don't really sound that amazing to be honest. The stock catback is very well designed for tone and volume, when paired with a downpipe it sounds mean when you want it to and calm when you dont. But the key is the tone is very nice and clean. When you get a catback like borla, AWE, or even Rev9 (350 bucks), they are designed to make your engine sound louder, yes, but with a much nicer tone, more rumble, and all that.

Running a remote valve post-downpipe that dumps exhaust straight out is going to sound ridiculously loud, but it also will not have a good tone to it. It is going to sound extremely cheap and tacky, probably rather hollow and tinny. On mustangs, camaros, old v8s, etc one of these can sound mean as hell (theres a dude that lives next to me with an old mustang with this setup, sounds amazing), but our engines are not that.. We need all the refinement we can get to help our little turbo 4 bangers sound good, so basically running an open downpipe is going to sound god awful. If you want to keep the stock downpipe but sound better on a budget, grab the rev9 catback for 350 bucks and throw that on the car.

All that being said this is speculative as I have not (and will not ;) ) run one of these, and opinion plays a huge part. I might fully well be completely wrong. If you like the sound, forget everything I said and do what makes you happy.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I shot a YouTube video tonight, still working on it but took some time to measure different tubing in the shop. Two different brands of 2.5" were within .016" of each other. The OEM tubing is .050-.066" bigger OD than the aftermarket tubing thus explaining further why an upgraded band clamp at the DP to CBE connection is important

DrDavid

Ready to race!
I have a catless DP with stock resonator and catback... and like the rest..... drone is there at 70-80 mph in 6th......

I will put a magnaflow 59959 hi flow cat because i don't like how it smell.....

I will change later the catback to get more sound..... so i think to put now the cat + vibrant 17950 (3') and a reducer 3 to 2.5 to the stock CBE so in the future put the 3 inch catback and already have the vibrant in 3'......

I am thinking in the right way ? :S

Enviado desde mi SM-N950F mediante Tapatalk

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
Just to give props to GTI Jake for the Vibrant resonator, after driving around with the stock res & EuroCode catted DP for about a month, I was really hating the drone, the car and my life, especially on the highway.

Put the 17930 Vibrant res on today and OMFG!!! all drone is gone, and I mean ALL OF IT!!

I have as much drone as when the car left VW's plant. Thanks, Jake!

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Just to give props to GTI Jake for the Vibrant resonator, after driving around with the stock res & EuroCode catted DP for about a month, I was really hating the drone, the car and my life, especially on the highway.

Put the 17930 Vibrant res on today and OMFG!!! all drone is gone, and I mean ALL OF IT!!

I have as much drone as when the car left VW's plant. Thanks, Jake!

No problem, glad you’re enjoying it!

timor

Ready to race!
Hi, I sell my gti perf 7.1 ( bcs downpipe only), and I will receive my 7.2.
I do 35000km (22000 miles) per year with this car.
And Im looking for a valved catback... but when its close, I want the sound like OEM.
Armytrix? IPE? remus? milltek or another option?

thanks

DrDavid

Ready to race!
And Im looking for a valved catback... but when its close, I want the sound like OEM.

thanks
Akrapovic..... the price is 20% of entire car.......

Dont know another option. I am interesting on this....

Enviado desde mi SM-N950F mediante Tapatalk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

thanks

Nobody makes what you’re looking for, theyll all be louder than stock with the valves closed (especially with a downpipe)

Aphex13

Passed Driver's Ed
Currently got a CTS catted dp with stock res. And muffler.

Just bought a CSS muffler. Hoping to replace the stock muffler.

I've already read that its going to drone. So if the drone gets that bad,

Then would I order the 2.5" 17930 vibrant res?

Or with new info, is it just better to somehow fit the 3" 17950 vibrant res now?

Im also stage 2 unitronic with overrun/crackle.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Did you get the CS-S muffler installed yet? I'm curious how it sounds with your CTS catted downpipe.

I'm not flashed, but I am running a JB4. I installed GTI Jake's DP with a CS-S muffler, and the sound was really loud and raw. I've ordered a resonated midpipe from him, and should have it installed some time this weekend. Hopefully it'll take it down a notch or two. I'll try to get some before and after videos for everyone rocking a CS-S muffler, and post them in his midpipe thread. If it works out well, I think the CS-S muffler would go well with a crackle tune. The DSG bangs are crazy with the GTI Jake DP and CS-S muffler. I assume the crackles would be similar.

All of my junctions are still the stock 2.5 inches, but I'll have the whole thing switched to 3.0 locally, if I like the setup. If not, I may sell the whole lot and rock the stock setup with the CS-S muffler. It sounds really nice, just a little tame for me.

GTI Jake's Resonated Midpipe

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
What about a Vibrant 1119 instead of a 17950, thoughts? Its essentially the same thing except w packing, would it not do double duty of muffling and also help w drone?

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
What about a Vibrant 1119 instead of a 17950, thoughts? Its essentially the same thing except w packing, would it not do double duty of muffling and also help w drone?

You could start your own experiment with multiple resonators & mufflers burning through time & money hacking your exhaust over and over, or you could take advantage of people who've done all that already and go with the end result of their experiments.

Anywho.. if you decide the former let us know what you find. There's a chance it will be entertaining ;)

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Just thought I would add a choice to the thread. I am doing a build of my MKV GTI with built motor and EFR 7163 that will be a strong runner that will see street and track use.

I too have experimented with exhausts over the years only to find that the motor essentially has a voice and you can change the volume of that voice and get rid of unwanted harmonics but it always sounds pretty much the same. My favorite has been the 42Draft Design system with hi-flo cat 200cell, resonator and Magnaflow muffler. I was running this for last 4 years. Initially no drone, fairly quiet even under acceleration and this was on 335whp K04 setup. After about a year or two it was much louder and drone was starting to come in.

The most impressive car I have ridden in was a twin turbo LS6 powered GTO. It was about 800rwhp but the most impressive part was how quiet it was. This was at a GTO meet and it sounded unlike any of the other cars including my 600whp supercharged GTO that was magnaflow equipped. It just quietly and forcefully shoved you back in the seat. Owner told me that he had used Burns Quiet Mufflers.

So I am looking to do something similar in my GTI build that should end up around 500whp when I am done with it.

The quiet part is generally hard to achieve without ruining flow. Burns Stainless in Costa Mesa California makes what they call their quiet muffler and it is quiet and flows very well. That is what I am going to use for my build. My goal is to have a very fast but very stock looking and sounding car.

So for folks that want performance but don't want to have your neighbors hear you coming from a mile away this may be something you want to look at. Understood that many want louder than stock exhausts. Just not for me anymore.

Note - Mufflers wear and get louder over time. Nice thing about the Burns muffler is that they are re-packable. You just order new packing to get back to original sound when they wear.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Just thought I would add a choice to the thread. I am doing a build of my MKV GTI with built motor and EFR 7163 that will be a strong runner that will see street and track use.

I too have experimented with exhausts over the years only to find that the motor essentially has a voice and you can change the volume of that voice and get rid of unwanted harmonics but it always sounds pretty much the same. My favorite has been the 42Draft Design system with hi-flo cat 200cell, resonator and Magnaflow muffler. I was running this for last 4 years. Initially no drone, fairly quiet even under acceleration and this was on 335whp K04 setup. After about a year or two it was much louder and drone was starting to come in.

The most impressive car I have ridden in was a twin turbo LS6 powered GTO. It was about 800rwhp but the most impressive part was how quiet it was. This was at a GTO meet and it sounded unlike any of the other cars including my 600whp supercharged GTO that was magnaflow equipped. It just quietly and forcefully shoved you back in the seat. Owner told me that he had used Burns Quiet Mufflers.

So I am looking to do something similar in my GTI build that should end up around 500whp when I am done with it.

The quiet part is generally hard to achieve without ruining flow. Burns Stainless in Costa Mesa California makes what they call their quiet muffler and it is quiet and flows very well. That is what I am going to use for my build. My goal is to have a very fast but very stock looking and sounding car.

So for folks that want performance but don't want to have your neighbors hear you coming from a mile away this may be something you want to look at. Understood that many want louder than stock exhausts. Just not for me anymore.

Note - Mufflers wear and get louder over time. Nice thing about the Burns muffler is that they are re-packable. You just order new packing to get back to original sound when they wear.

You kind of have a unique situation where the stock muffler would be a restriction.

On a mk7 all they need is a catted downpipe and vibrant 17950 midpipe to achieve what you’re after. Paired with the factory muffler it’s noticeably better sounding (deep/sporty) without being loud by any measure. There’s no need to spend money on the rest of a quite CBE