GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Helix Soundbox Upgrade Information Post!

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hello,

I got my hands on a Helix demo switch that allows me to switch between "Original" and "Helix" sound...

I have it installed now. Here's one of the early photos:

Of course, it stays in "Helix" mode full-time. But it's nice to have it for demos and to have the wiring tucked away. :cool:

Scott

Lurchalicious

Ready to race!
has anyone mapped the wiring diagram of the subwoofers in the helix box?

Looking back at the wiring diagram for the output of the Helix amp, labeling shows W1-W4

8 wires going into the subwoofer would lead me to think there's something going on like a dual voice coil setup or the like.

Are they series? parallel?

Lurchalicious

Ready to race!
It's two dual-voicecoil subs in parallel.

uneducated guess - W1 and W2 are the same speaker?

I'm digging around for information on wiring because I have an older Kicker KX700.5 that I am looking to wire in after the DSP to put more juice to the speakers... well, because. Its laying around, and I'm inclined to tinker. I'm positive those subs can take a little more. Ultimately I may end up going the LC2i and grabbing the sub out signal from the helix.

the plug appears to be an ATX 20 pin like that of a motherboard power adapter. I'm going to make a harness to get the signal from the helix by intercepting the signal out and making them go to high level input on the 5 channel. Kicker amp out back to the harness

The helix amp in our soundbox is extremely close to if not the same as the helix PP50DSP I'm very confused how the helix amp is putting out 35w RMS x 4 4ohm and 160w RMS 2ohm with a 20amp fuse. I am noticing amps are much smaller than when I messed around with car audio in 2000-2004. But the lack of fusing compared to the Kicker is confusing.

This kicker amp holds 3 30a fuses. RMS is 40w x 4 and 400x1 at 2 ohm. dynamic is 70w x4 @4ohm and 420w @2 ohm.

Edit: The helix harness plug that goes into the amplifier is a 20 pin ATX plug. I purchased an "extension harness" from ebay and it fit perfectly. This way a splice into the Helix harness can be made without sacrificing.

Last edited:

GTInj

Hi Everybody,

Having an issue with my helix in my 2018 gti se. I've had the helix in two prior gti's and am very familiar with the performance. This is my first experience with the "b version" of the helix.

I've confirmed via two dealership visits that the wiring and programming is correct however, the output is about 35-50% of what it should be. The sub is extremely quiet in the mix and i cannot figure out what the heck the problem is. I have also messed with the setting on the poweramp and that did not do much other than give it a very slight increase in volume.

First off, has anybody experienced issues with the "b version?" Also, does the "b version" require a different SD card when programming with the dongle? Audiotec Fischer (manufacturer in Germany, and completely useless) says that there is no difference.

Before i file a warranty report and ask for a new sub and poweramp to be set out i'd like to see if anybody has any ideas.

Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited:

copperbricks

Ready to race!
Have you fiddled with the gain pot on the Helix amp?

Also if anyone's interested I recently built a sub box that uses the Helix woofers and fits alongside the spare wheel in my Golf R. Slightly smaller volume than stock but I filled it with foam batting and I haven't noticed a huge difference. Quite happy with the end result of having a spare and my trunk space.

Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/P0RhB3I

Last edited:

tartay

Can anyone with an 18 (S in my case) confirm if there is anything in the glovebox that needs to be manipulated to hook up the helix? It looks like the head unit might be connected to the radio and I want to make sure I don't need to start going through the glovebox in order to wire the helix up.

And if the head unit is tied to the radio, are the wiring harnesses the exact same as the guides?

stuntnuts

Go Kart Newbie
Can anyone with an 18 (S in my case) confirm if there is anything in the glovebox that needs to be manipulated to hook up the helix? It looks like the head unit might be connected to the radio and I want to make sure I don't need to start going through the glovebox in order to wire the helix up.

And if the head unit is tied to the radio, are the wiring harnesses the exact same as the guides?

I just did this on my 2018 S...

Remove the radio screen in the center of the dash. The "radio" or "head unit" or whatever you want to refer to it as is built into the screen. There is NOTHING in or behind the glove box.

Once the radio is out, unplug the Quadlock connector, and follow the instruction in that youtube howto from there.

tartay

I just did this on my 2018 S...

Remove the radio screen in the center of the dash. The "radio" or "head unit" or whatever you want to refer to it as is built into the screen. There is NOTHING in or behind the glove box.

Once the radio is out, unplug the Quadlock connector, and follow the instruction in that youtube howto from there.

Perfect. That's exactly what I needed. Thanks.

Fowvaydriver

Ready to race!
Just to confirm ... the helix is plug and play for 2018 cars with touch screen (no cd) base stereos?
If so ... what are the part numbers? Read through the thread and searched but could not find confirmation of part number and touch screen stereos.
Thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Just to confirm ... the helix is plug and play for 2018 cars with touch screen (no cd) base stereos?
If so ... what are the part numbers? Read through the thread and searched but could not find confirmation of part number and touch screen stereos.
Thanks !

There's only one part number for the Helix now: 000051419B
(000051419 was the original/first though)

mctriple

Passed Driver's Ed
I installed a Helix in my 2018 GTI SE (NA region.. it has the 8" screen and CD player in the glove box). I had to take the CD player out of the glove box and wire it into the back of that. Didn't have to do anything with the center dash screen - all wiring went to the glove box.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I installed a Helix in my 2018 GTI SE (NA region.. it has the 8" screen and CD player in the glove box). I had to take the CD player out of the glove box and wire it into the back of that. Didn't have to do anything with the center dash screen - all wiring went to the glove box.

All MK7 installs with glove box units will install the same as the video/installs on the first post. I think MK6 installs are the exception to that, since they are pre-MIB. The CD player in the glove box is really more the headunit now, and the center screen is just that.

zech912

Ready to race!
Newbie here! Thanks to this thread, I have installed the Helix system without a hitch, except locking the keys in the radio. Installed the "B" edition into a 2018 GTI SE. WOW big difference to me with the sound, improved clarity, increased bass output, and a better soundstage I don't see how reprogramming could make an improvement. Are you sure they finally haven't got the right code from the start on the "B" model. Needed to lower the bass and treble a bit for my taste. I can turn it up until it hurts my ears without distortion. Very pleased. Thanks for starting this thread flipflp.

I am looking to make this Helix sub upgrade (along with Focal ES 130K speakers in front) on my 2018 SE but was discouraged by reading it is not compatible with Dynaudio. Does not the 2018 GTI SE have the Dynaudio system from factory? What am I hopefully misunderstanding?

edit: I was reading through the thread hoping to find a 2018 SE and encountered the post I quoted, now I see mctriple immediately prior also did this. So what does it mean when it says not compatible with Dynaudio please?

edit2: I also now see GTInj has some issues getting it to work right. related to Dynaudio?

edit3: I just encountered a VW listing that only lists the Helix as incompatible with the Fender, but I have seen them where, like the OP, it also lists the Dynaudio. Maybe that is a change in the 'B' version, made it compatible with Dynaudio?

Last edited: