GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Are color changing wheel cleaners like Iron X safe for GTI wheels & calipers?

oldguy1

Passed Driver's Ed
Tried Maguiar's ultimate wheel cleaner. Followed the instructions exactly, even dried each wheel after rinsing, using a hi powered leaf blower.
Very disappointed, the wheels were no cleaner than when I started.
Returning to Walmart tomorrow for a refund.

Cjburn

Passed Driver's Ed
The only wheel cleaners that are spray on, rinse off, with no agitation are acid wheel cleaners. You are not going to find too many acid based wheel cleaners with that ability at a consumer level because they can absolutely etch wheels.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
The only wheel cleaners that are spray on, rinse off, with no agitation are acid wheel cleaners. You are not going to find too many acid based wheel cleaners with that ability at a consumer level because they can absolutely etch wheels.

So incorrect, trouble is many users do not learn about what cleaning products do and are hell bent on brand names alone.
Clean the car often enough and bare shampoo will suffice for the wheels, long term leaving wheels too long for a clean is not good likewise the exhaust tail pipes, two minutes to add to a routine clean and the results keep as new.

Cjburn

Passed Driver's Ed
PH balanced car soap has no chance of removing brake dust without cleaning the wheel without a brush pr a towel, period. I brought home a brand new gti Thursday, it had 160 miles on it when I washed it the first time. I foamed it with a non ph balanced soap, then with a dedicated snow foam. I foamed the wheels with both soaps, didnt even touch the tiniest bit of brake dust.

IceBerg4k1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI
PH balanced car soap has no chance of removing brake dust without cleaning the wheel without a brush or a towel, period.

Bingo. It amazes me that this is such a difficult concept for people to grasp. Even non-ph balanced cleaners are most times not "touch free" like their label would lead you to believe.

eXult

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI SE 6MT
What about using Sonax?

I've had a bit of trouble determining what to use for my car. It's a new car but I get crazy brake dust as well. I used Turtle Wheel Cleaner for my first wash and it worked well, however I was concerned about overspray getting to the actual brakes and such.

Some people say to use APC, other dedicated wheel cleaners. :confused:

IceBerg4k1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI
What about using Sonax?

I've had a bit of trouble determining what to use for my car. It's a new car but I get crazy brake dust as well. I used Turtle Wheel Cleaner for my first wash and it worked well, however I was concerned about overspray getting to the actual brakes and such.

Some people say to use APC, other dedicated wheel cleaners. :confused:

You can't go wrong with Sonax. It is a great cleaner. For many years and even from time to time now, I just use APC. Specifically Super Clean. It is extremely economical and serves many uses. At a 3:1 or 4:1 dilution I use it on wheels and tires. At a 10:1 dilution I use it on the interior, engine bay, or damn near anywhere else. Car related or not. Oh, and it does a great job at all of those things.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the responses. I know Iron X is the best, but it's pricey to use for just wheels. Are there any safe alternatives? I've read a lot of good things about Sonax, but it's also ridiculously overpriced, even if you buy 5 liters of it. I checked the price history of Adam's wheel cleaner and sometimes it goes on sale for $40 per gallon. If I can find it locally, I'm also wondering about Meguiar's Mirror Bright.
It's probably the best fallout remover, but dedicated wheel cleaners are still more aggressive. Products like Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus make Iron-X look meh in my opinion. But, you thought Iron-X was expensive...

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Was mentioned I think.
Diablo wheel cleaner from Chemical Guys. Also good for wheels. Spray on to soak and then wash by hand with micro fiber or soft brush. You can also dilute and help keep cost down. Smells good and feels good to wash with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Was mentioned I think.
Diablo wheel cleaner from Chemical Guys. Also good for wheels. Spray on to soak and then wash by hand with micro fiber or soft brush. You can also dilute and help keep cost down. Smells good and feels good to wash with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
A wheel cleaner that works good AND smells good? I don't believe it! Haha