GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Draining vs Extracting

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Have done both methods and much prefer the extractor. Easier, cleaner, no time difference between methods, and don't have to replace the plug. As mentioned, it is a good idea to change the plug every once in a while in case the o-ring swells or wears and starts to leak, but otherwise it's just fine. Many will argue the extractor doesnt get everything out but you also don't get everything out unless you let the car sit with the plug out for hours to get the last drops. The minuscule amount of oil left after extraction is not an issue.

yo_marc

Ready to race!
Drain, every time. Cars, motorcycles, lawn mowers, snowblower, and generator.

I really like the extractor in theory, but can't bring myself to get one. I like to make sure I got all the old oil out. I also get a bit of peace of mind pulling a drain plug and "flushing out" anything that might have settled in the pan. Some of the engines I listed above sit for a while in between use.

I also hate dealing with oily hoses that never seem to stop dripping... or harden up because they didn't seem to be designed to deal with these kinds of fluids. (My experience with a hand held vac). Also afraid of introducing dirt by feeling a tube down to the pan or crankcase. My garage is not a clean-room by any means :)

Some of the stuff I do oil changes on are a pain and I end up spilling oil everywhere, so I really should reconsider.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I really like the extractor in theory, but can't bring myself to get one. I like to make sure I got all the old oil out.

That doesn't happen when you drain. If the vehicle level when the drain plug is removed, there will always be some part of the oil pan that doesn't drain. Even if you have only the front end lifted and leave the plug out for half an hour (I did that on my old car once), you still won't get 100% of the old oil out. If you check the service manual for pretty much any engine ever made, there's a difference between the amount of oil required for an oil change vs total oil capacity.

I'll admit, I was a bit skeptical at first, but there really aren't any negatives if you're careful. My only question (since my car is almost 1 year old) is which extractor to buy.

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
I'm rocking https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WD64H8Z/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've done 3 changes and it works great.. My method: I drive it till oil temp hits at least 190. Park it on a level surface and break the filter open and leave there so the filter drains. Give it about 20 minutes and start extracting.. After I can't extract anymore I'll give it 5 minutes and extract again.. I'll do that about 5 or 6 times, but in between I'll change the filter and extract any oil where the oil filter sits. Total time is an hour.

Navi

Autocross Champion
I always drain from the bottom. I like to get down and do an inspection on the ground below the vehicle. So far it's been fruitful. Found out my drain plug had an intermittent leak so that was a quick fix. Also found my driver side inner axle boot has a hole in it which is leaking and spewing grease everywhere. Gonna fix that this weekend. So my point: I think it is important to take a look around every now and then instead of doing everything top side with no idea of what else could go wrong.