GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AFS Headlight Adjustment Woes

stony

2016 GTI with AFS headlights. Lowered the car (VWR springs, shop was aware of the leveling sensor, sensor is intact and undamaged). Got AFS error. Made a dumb dumb dummy error: Didn't occur to me that it could just be a quick vagcom fix, and instead started messing with the mechanical side/side and up/down adjusters. Car is throwing AFS error instantly when the headlights go on.

I'm hating life - I called my local VW dealer, they want $250 to readjust, won't do it under warranty (expires next month anyway). They're frigging headlights, can it really be this difficult? Anyone have advice/DIY on fixing the issue? Would rather put that money towards an actual mod than a repair.

Elwood

3-7-77
Find someone with VCDS. Offer them a beer. As I recall, you just put them in adjustment mode, adjust them manually, then take them out of adjustment mode. (Based on my old 2007 GTI).

Blindbatts

Passed Driver's Ed
you can do the calibration reset with an obd11 or anything else that a vcds can do. Worth the $60

Had to do the AFS 'basic settings' calibration on my car after I removed the north america light restrictions to make the LP headlights work like they do in europe, huge improvement. Used an obd11 to do it.

stony

Thanks for the input guys. Was not aware that you could put them in adjustment mode. Prob where I screwed up. I'm going OBD Eleven - going to need it anyway at some point I'm sure (activate the alarm!).

Crazy - just called half a dozen repair and body shops and all are saying it has to go to the dealership. I'll give it one more go - I have access to VCDS through a shop, but not sure I can take it offsite - I'm under the impression I'll need to find a nice 30 linear feet of flat area and a wall to judge where my headlights are pointed. One more try, then off to the dealership.

Elwood

3-7-77
If you've already manually adjusted the headlights, you won't need to do it again. All you're doing with the software is providing a reference point for the auto-leveling function.

JD-1

Ready to race!
You don't need to find a wall or anything to adjust them

Park on a flat surface, parking lot, doesn't matter.
OBDEleven
Accept the "basic setting" - watch the headlights move up
GO back one menu and click the "Save basic setting" corning light error will display, then go off and the setting is saved..

I don't have the steps but you can find them everywhere. I did this last week with obd11

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Our headlights need a reference position, they don't magically adjust themselves. If they need adjustment you will have go into VCDS, tell the headlights you are adjusting, adjust, and then set the new reference position.

[FONT=&quot]Adjust Headlight:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Using Vagcom, select module: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]headlamp range control, basic settings. Now manually adjust headlights or have done professionally. When complete, select Accept Basic Setting. This provides the AFS stored starting position.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I posted the maintenance procedure from the repair manual here:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showth...ded#post393164[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Park you car 25' from a wall on level ground. The cutoff point of the beam should be 2" below the center of your headlight. [/FONT]