GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo whine during cold start

Mbq0308

Recently I started getting this noise coming from the turbo during my cold starts and about 5 minutes into driving. Its a weird whining noise that almost sounds like a dremel when letting off the gas and i have no clue why. Is this normal?

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
It goes away after warming up? That's the sound of a failing turbo. Are you modded?

His issues are on decel though vs accel it seems. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Prolly best to make a video. My Turbos always made a slight whine (maybe I'm not hearing the turbos and something else in the engine??) on decel also. But everything time I changed turbos (or partout) turbos have been ROCK solid. Not a bit of shaft play at all on both my IS20 or IS38.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
His issues are on decel though vs accel it seems. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Prolly best to make a video. My Turbos always made a slight whine (maybe I'm not hearing the turbos and something else in the engine??) on decel also. But everything time I changed turbos (or partout) turbos have been ROCK solid. Not a bit of shaft play at all on both my IS20 or IS38.

Ahh, hadn't noticed it said decel.

Yeah, my DSG whine is louder than anything else.

Mbq0308

Maybe the best bet for me is to check the shaft for any play. Im stage 2 with fbo

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
Maybe the best bet for me is to check the shaft for any play. Im stage 2 with fbo

For sure that is the best way to know for sure. Most people check the Exhaust side. Not too hard just have to shift the DP aside. But just to be sure sure i would check both sides.

Check both in and out and side to side movement.

Mbq0308

For sure that is the best way to know for sure. Most people check the Exhaust side. Not too hard just have to shift the DP aside. But just to be sure sure i would check both sides.

Check both in and out and side to side movement.

Alright thanks so much for the helpful tips

bobyjane1234

Passed Driver's Ed
Mine has a slowly winding in low to high pitch sound every time from 50-60km/h. Only thing I added to the Turbo inlet pipe. i'll have to check if i screwed something up ><.

basqueinthesun

Passed Driver's Ed
ive noticed this with my car as well, only happens going slow in 1st gear when i let off the gas pedal. definitely doesnt sound normal but i keep putting off taking it into the dealership to check it out