GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Not really sure. At this point my opinion is the injector in cylinder 1 failed. The piston seems to have melted right through on the one side. The rest of the cylinders look perfect.
Stock or R injectors?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
This isn't Chuck G's SW right? I saw he ran an 11.44 a few weeks ago.

Just curious why would you choose to build a 1.8T? You're going to spend a lot of money to wind up with an EA888 Gen 3 that will likely grenade again due to the crankshaft. It's a cast crank with 48mm bearings compared to the 2.0T's forged crank with 52mm bearings. Huge difference. Why not just swap in a junkyard 2.0T out of an A3 or something similar? I've seen them as low as $1,000.

I think we have managed to find the weakness of the 1.8T. With IS38 APR stack and very good logging the car has been getting the beat down for the past 6 months. Eventually on a clean pull it seems the ring land on the one cylinder has broken. I reckon the breakage is due to sustained power and provisionally the piston doesn't look like it has any hot spots or anything. What is also interesting to note is the tuning on it was wrapped up pretty quickly with good fuels so we never really ran into timing adaption issues or knock that could have weakened the system. I reckon output based on performance was in the 370-380whp region.

Engine is going to get built so if anyone has found stronger internals for them post away.

Log attached of when it let go.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
This isn't Chuck G's SW right? I saw he ran an 11.44 a few weeks ago.

Just curious why would you choose to build a 1.8T? You're going to spend a lot of money to wind up with an EA888 Gen 3 that will likely grenade again due to the crankshaft. It's a cast crank with 48mm bearings compared to the 2.0T's forged crank with 52mm bearings. Huge difference. Why not just swap in a junkyard 2.0T out of an A3 or something similar? I've seen them as low as $1,000.

Lack of valve lift on 1.8T will make it a challenge.
Easier to swop in another engine for under 1000 and down tune it a tad. There aren't readily available components to build the engine.

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
Why not just swap in a EA888 Gen 3 2.0T?

Lack of valve lift on 1.8T will make it a challenge.
Easier to swop in another engine for under 1000 and down tune it a tad. There aren't readily available components to build the engine.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Why not just swap in a EA888 Gen 3 2.0T?
It's a logistical nightmare. Harnesses, modules, and dash cluster need to be swapped, and a lot of coding needs to be done. In fact, the process still isn't perfected. MUCH easier to swap a built 2.0 bottom end in with a 1.8 head.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
And that’s the route I’m now going. 2.0 block and 1.8 head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo

Boss 500, too? :D

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
Has anyone ever done a 2.0 block with a 1.8 head on an EA888 Gen 3? I would think that would be even more work due to the head to block specific differences.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Has anyone ever done a 2.0 block with a 1.8 head on an EA888 Gen 3? I would think that would be even more work due to the head to block specific differences.
Since they're the same bore, what difficulties are you expecting?

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I thought the block is the one thing that's actually truly the same between the 1.8 and the 2.0.

Slick99

Ready to race!

It has been done in South Africa on A3 1.8tfsi Quattro with bigger turbo.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk