GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EPC Warning

Namakan

I tried searching "EPC" and nothing came up? Anyhow I was lightly accelerating from a stop this morning in my 18' GTI 6MT with 6500 miles when the light came on and suddenly lost 50% or more power as it felt. Car was shuttering and hard to accelerate.

Pulled off to the side of the road and shut her down. Now I've perused through the owners manual since I purchased the car but did not recall what this light indicated. Looked it up, started car and the light did not return. Car seemed to run/idle somewhat normal but still shuttered during acceleration in all gears.

Has anyone else had this symptom and if so what was the verdict? Service writer of course has never heard of this before.

A bit frustrating for a 6 month old car.

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
EPC is protection mode, just FYI. Don't worry about it, take it to the dealer like Diggs says.

It's like the CEL/MIL only the EPC requires immediate attention, and activates limp mode in order to save the car from potentially catastrophic failure.

rahtx

Go Kart Newbie
From the first hit on Google:

When the EPC light comes on in your Volkswagen, it’s a signal that the vehicle needs to be repaired immediately. Your Volkswagen should have enough power to drive to a car dealership or repair shop, but it should not be driven anywhere else. Your vehicle’s throttle may be limited in power as a built-in mechanism to protect the engine. If your Volkswagen is equipped with an ESP (Electronic Stability Program) program, it will display its own ESP light and automatically turn the Volkswagen off when it senses an issue with the throttle system.

Unless you want to scan it for codes, we can only speculate what the problem could be...

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
On a new car too...dang....

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Dealer called and they think it's two ignition coils #3 & #4 cylinders. They do not have any in stock because apparently this NEVER happens so a loaner it will be.

That's a misdiagnosis.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Dealer called and they think it's two ignition coils #3 & #4 cylinders. They do not have any in stock because apparently this NEVER happens so a loaner it will be.

Or a break in the head gasket between those 2 cylinders. Ask them to swap the coils from cylinders 1 and 2 with 3 and 4 or do a compression test.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If it was a coil wouldn't the EPC light stay on? Things I found looking it up suggested a throttle body or sensor problem.