GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Free OBDelholster - print your own OBDeleven holder for glovebox

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I've had a lot of fun making these-- I've made and sold 84 in total to you guys!

I am making the 3d file publicly available and will be posting it to thingiverse. In the meantime, you can download it from my google drive. The file is the 8th and most recent revision. The first couple of batches had some issues with "clicking" properly into place without some minor filing but the latest version is as good as OEM.

Here's how to make the holder:

Step 1: Download and print the stl file. If you don't have access to a printer, you can get prints done online. I recommend ABS plastic but ASA works well also. Print with 100 micron layer height if possible for a smoother finish.

Step 2: Sand and spray paint the holder (optional but recommended)

Step 3: Buy the port on Aliexpress or eBay. Discard the two shell halves and all but one pin. Insert one pin in any position and epoxy the port to the rear of the holder. (One pin holds the OBDeleven perfectly. More pins will make it too hard to pull out).

Enjoy!

dv/dt

Thanks again for releasing this to the public, with directions no less!
I'll probably print this out of PETG in a bit and will try to remember to update my post in the summer if it stands up to the heat.

Have you tried a design w/out the OBD port in the back and just friction fit around the case?

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
I need this, mine gets lost in all the crap in my glove box...lol

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Have you tried a design w/out the OBD port in the back and just friction fit around the case?

My original prototype was without a port, and it didn't work well. Because of tolerance variance, sometimes the fit was too loose and other times the fit was too tight. I tried lining the inside with a layer of Tesa tape or felt to take up slack, but it just didn't work out. The port idea ended up working out.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Thanks for posting this! Do you mind sharing the original design file? Have some thoughts on a way to hold it in with friction and STL import blows...

dv/dt

Hey Southpaw, did you ever get your model uploaded to thingiverse yet? I made a version with a built in OBD outer sleeve integrated into your holder and it works well for me when printed with PETG (allows for some flex). I want to make sure you get correctly credited when I post my remix of your model!

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Hey Southpaw, did you ever get your model uploaded to thingiverse yet? I made a version with a built in OBD outer sleeve integrated into your holder and it works well for me when printed with PETG (allows for some flex). I want to make sure you get correctly credited when I post my remix of your model!

Thanks! Forgot to upload to thingiverse. Will do that today!

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion

Okay, it's now on thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3385256

c_c

Thanks for taking the time to share your design southpaw - ordered an ABS print and a port.

dv/dt

Thanks man! I forgot to update, but I was able to create a remix from your design and print-in-place an integrated OBD holder into your design. Works great for me except that it doesn't grip too tightly into the hole (not surprising). I jammed a few foam pieces into the side arms to spread them and now it probably will never come out accidentally...

Alltrack Army

Dumb question and sorry to revive this old thread but...

What OBD port do I need from Ali? The link in the post didn't work for me and when I search I come up with a bunch of junk and can't tell which will work?

Thanks.