GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Race.

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
Thabks for sharing. It would have been more beneficial if they'd put those cup2s on all cars during their individual timed attacks. What's the point otherwise? Depending on the resources available, the x 10min a car for the swap would have gone a long, long way.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Thabks for sharing. It would have been more beneficial if they'd put those cup2s on all cars during their individual timed attacks. What's the point otherwise? Depending on the resources available, the x 10min a car for the swap would have gone a long, long way.

I do not know for sure, but I would assume they tested the cars as sold/delivered from VW. If we make one item the same between the models we do rule out a variable. Give them all an R engine and I guess the R comes in last being heavier? At least on this track, AWD did not help. Add some snow and it would be different.
Guess we could have tuned the base GTI to stage 3 and it would have done better.

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
I do not know for sure, but I would assume they tested the cars as sold/delivered from VW. If we make one item the same between the models we do rule out a variable. Give them all an R engine and I guess the R comes in last being heavier? At least on this track, AWD did not help. Add some snow and it would be different.

Guess we could have tuned the base GTI to stage 3 and it would have done better.
I just wanted a more accurate assessment on these different golfs lol. Different golfs being the key word.

That makes sense and what I'd typically expect. But because it was 6 golfs, and swap should be straight forward, i was thinking why not go the extra mile and take the tire out of the test equation so we can have accurate data on these different golfs true potential? You can still provide two different tests. It will only provide additional education on the matter imo.

These lap time tests when done across competition usually have similar if not exact perf category tires. Width and that sort of thing is different but at least the tires are as close they can be out of the factory + it's not an easy swap.

Tires is one mod every owner has control over.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
If they were to swap tires...then they would no longer be stock. I would also imagine that if they were to swap tires...it would be a pretty big endeavor to swap tires across six cars. Plus there are so many different types of tires. Which ones would they pick? The Cup 2's are really expensive tires...not sure how many people would be running on those. Tire Rack has them for just under 1k for a set of 225/40/18.

I think its a pretty good test to show what each level of the Golf can do. The Clubsport S is the fastest Golf and being the most expensive.

Last edited:

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
I am sure most You Tube people or comparison companies determine cost/benefit when making a video. 4-5 cars, couple drivers and a small film crews compared to adding a tire crew and support truck for what gained? They got across what they wanted to. Now you decide which MK7 you buy. If offered in your country however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
All valid points. I guess we'll never know if golf R is the faster car around that track.

I thought we found that out?
As sold the Clubsport S looks to be number 1 and on most tracks in dry weather it would be. Same engine but lighter weight. Same brakes but lighter. Hard to think the R would be faster unless wet or on snow.

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
I thought we found that out?
As sold the Clubsport S looks to be number 1 and on most tracks in dry weather it would be. Same engine but lighter weight. Same brakes but lighter. Hard to think the R would be faster unless wet or on snow.

Haha, maybe you have but i don't think i have.

Only under a second faster on a lot better tires doesn't scream total confidence in my head.

From what i remember... GTI and R are about 3 sec apart in other magazine tests on a 2-3 mile tracks (this test matches that). Superb tires over that stretch should be able to yield about 1 sec advantage.

You're right. The S should be faster. That's why it would have been a clean/super test w both wearing the same rubber.

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
I actually saw this a while ago. Clubsport is specially designed for the track, so it's no surprise it's quicker.