GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Missing Transmission Fluid Fill Hole 2017 GTI Sport

bsspencer421

I am wrapping up an RSR clutch install and I am trying to fill back what tranny oil leaked out when taking yet out for the swap but to my surprise the fill hole/plug is not in the design of my transmission. I have seen videos and photos online and I know exactly where it should be but it isn’t there!

How can I go about topping off my transmission fluid with no fill hole and no idea how much fluid I need to put in?

Attachments

• 39431C96-3CEF-4FA1-AAC7-324D1C508F89.jpeg
    39431C96-3CEF-4FA1-AAC7-324D1C508F89.jpeg
    303.7 KB · Views: 2,541

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Well shit lol

If you have the car lifted level (all four corners) you could fill it via the drivers side axle cup

Maybe measure first but IIRC that’s the same level

H

Huntermike

My car is the same....I guess it really is a lifetime fluid.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
Answer from Jack Watts: You have to add fluid through the selector bolt, which is above the reverse sensor switch. It's plastic, 19 mm. Remove the air box and put the car in neutral, then remove the bolt.

H

Huntermike

Answer from Jack Watts: You have to add fluid through the selector bolt, which is above the reverse sensor switch. It's plastic, 19 mm. Remove the air box and put the car in neutral, then remove the bolt.

How do you confirm the correct fluid level?

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
How do you confirm the correct fluid level?

Second half of his post:

"Problem is, there is no way to set the level besides draining, then refilling 2.3 liters, so if you don't know how much leaked out, you'll have to drain and fill.This is straight out of the factory service manual..."

I would just measure what came out and add that amount back in.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Second half of his post:

"Problem is, there is no way to set the level besides draining, then refilling 2.3 liters, so if you don't know how much leaked out, you'll have to drain and fill.This is straight out of the factory service manual..."

I would just measure what came out and add that amount back in.

That’s not accurate. It’s fill to spill out the port on the side that he’s lacking...

That’s why he needs to check what I said right off the get go. Is the missing fill port at the same level as the axle cup? If so, fill to spill there and call it a day.

From empty it takes 2.3 liters to reach the full or point that it spills out (as long as the car is level)

EDIT: after reading the above that’s much easier if the axles are already back in

roystr

Ready to race!
Man, VW...what a stupid move to save a few cents!

mk717

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 A3 Quattro
Went through this with my clutch install. Didn't realize it was lifetime and figured i'd change fluid while doing the clutch. It wasn't until after draining the fluid and doing the clutch that we realized there was no fill hole. We filled 2.3 through the selector bolt. I haven't had any issues going on about 3 months.

TrinivdubOG

Go Kart Newbie
still don't understand why you would remove the axle cups to take out the gearbox, seems like the much harder way to go around it...either way hope you got your answers above.

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
Car(s)
MQB A3
still don't understand why you would remove the axle cups to take out the gearbox, seems like the much harder way to go around it...either way hope you got your answers above.

Removing the passenger side axle cup makes it quite a bit easier to drop the trans. No need to rotate the trans to 'walk' the axle cut around the top of the flywheel.

TrinivdubOG

Go Kart Newbie
Removing the passenger side axle cup makes it quite a bit easier to drop the trans. No need to rotate the trans to 'walk' the axle cut around the top of the flywheel.

hmm makes sense, however i just dropped my entire subframe when i did mine. I figured a couple bolts extra vs messing with those cups was worth it.