GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Will it rub?

Steven31327

Passed Driver's Ed
Seen plenty of posts around wheel size and tyre size, but nothing specifically for what I’m after (I’m trailing through posts on very slow internet so losing patience)

Essentially, I’m getting wheels that are 18x8.5 ET42 (although I was considering ET40 but not sure...) putting 235/40/18 Goodyear Assymetric 3s, and then want to put some VWR lowering springs on.

Will it rub?

Has anyone gone for this size setup and can comment on results?

Is ET42 okay? Or ET40 better?

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
It won't rub with just vwr springs. You'll be fine.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Everyone told me my summer setup wouldn't rub at all (19x8.5 et45 with 235/35/19 tires). 95% of the time, it didn't, but big dips in the road, potholes, and speed bumps produced some rub.

Did the fender screw mod and zero rub since. I suspect this mod would eliminate any rub for your setup as well if there ever is any.

FWIW my tires are michelins which supposedly run a bit wider than other similarly sized tires and, again, no rub with the mod.

Gnasher

Ready to race!
I'm runnig 235/35 R19 Goodyear Assymetric 2s on 19x8.5 ET46 lowered on eibach sportlines.

Rubbed until I did the Fender Screw mod too.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I rubbed with 235/40 Nokian zLine Summers on 18x8 et45, once I was lowered on EU Eibachs.

That combo should not have rubbed, maybe the Nokian have a wide tread width, specs are non existent.

Fender screw mod eliminated the rub.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Steven31327

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the replies, may just do the fender screw mod to be safe then

Steven31327

Passed Driver's Ed
Only takes a few minutes, better to do it and not need it than rub paint off and do it after the fact

As unlikely as it would be you still should play it safe.

Makes sense, just watched a couple of tutorials and it’s easy!

I will do it this weekend in preparation for the wheels arriving next week