GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Request: Recommended Brakes

erikweber321

Ready to race!
Hey All,

Desire: Non-PP Daily driver that has same or better bite than OEM (which is pretty good bite).

I see lots of criticism for using EBC pads, most people state that they're old tech and the company isn't "active" or researching anymore. Should this stop me from buying these brake pads?

I love the feel of the OEM pads, they bite hard and quickly. I don't have experience with other pads...but I just installed stoptech basic ceramic pads, and they are just fucking terrible. They are dull, they have no bite. They have a bad fit and the even slide a little causing a clunk during reverse braking (I looked into this and everything was tight and torqued, the only variable was that the pad wings that they ride on are literally too short, with like a little more than 1/8th inch free space on each side, allowing travel and clunks).

Can anyone give me an idea of what they think is great to use?

Thanks!

Last edited:

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
I'm on day three with Ferodo ds2500 and I'm sold. Bite hard and I've read they dust a bit, but they feel really good.

Compared to the hawk hps and hps5.0 I've run before these are considerably better. More repeatable when cold versus hot for me. Hawks were all over the place, depending on how hot I got them.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

DAS_STIG

Banned
PP or non-PP?

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I'm on day three with Ferodo ds2500 and I'm sold. Bite hard and I've read they dust a bit, but they feel really good.

Compared to the hawk hps and hps5.0 I've run before these are considerably better. More repeatable when cold versus hot for me. Hawks were all over the place, depending on how hot I got them.

as long as you never see the track the 2500's will be good. once you do hit the track they will transfer like a mofo and leave you with a vibration that rips the steering wheel out of your hands. then you get to enjoy removing the rotors and cleaning them.

DAS_STIG

Banned
NON pp. It makes it a pain ;(

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Then you really have only one choice - isweep. You can get the endless mx72, but those are more serious pads and more than you need for DD. Plus they cost like $370 for the fronts alone and you need to contact endless directly to order them. The isweep are pretty good - I run the 2500 series, but i got them for track use in summer and they squeal like mad during DD. I would recommend the 1500 or 2000 series for just DD.

I don't think ferodo makes their 2500 for the non-pp, but that would be a good DD alternative from what I heard. I haven't seen any review of the HPS 5.0 for non-PP, but that might also be a reasonable DD option.

DAS_STIG

Banned
I reviewed the 5.0. They're okay. A bit better than stock imo.

I'm seeing a Ferodo for the non-pp. http://bestbrakes.com/c/car-items/49426

Might be a better option.

Thanks for posting. So you were able to find ferodo 2500 as well? I thought people had issues finding the non-pp even though some sites said they were for non-pp.

Should also mention, EBC should be fine for DD. It seems the debate around EBC products comes up around track use and how well they hold up.

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
as long as you never see the track the 2500's will be good. once you do hit the track they will transfer like a mofo and leave you with a vibration that rips the steering wheel out of your hands. then you get to enjoy removing the rotors and cleaning them.
Thanks for the heads-up. I don't have plans to track it, after all the research I have done, I'd definitely get a track-only pad if I did. These are just for my slightly aggressive street driving style. Paired with the rs3 ducts, they should stay cool enough to stay in one piece.

If I do get those symptoms, I'll absolutely post about it.

erikweber321

Ready to race!
If I run new rotors for like 1500 miles with new pads, then swap the pads, how bad is it

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS

I've done more than 30 track days on Ferodo DS2500 pads with my stage 1 R and that has not been my experience. I had a problem with OEM and Porterfield R4S rear pads and brake judder. However, Ferodo released rear pads for this car last fall, and I've now done 11 track days with Ferodo pads both front and rear with no issues whatsoever.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I’m gonna be due for brakes soon, debating between mildly upgrading like the OP or swapping to a TTS BBK. The non PP brakes while plenty for my daily commute are very limited in pad options which is annoying because I will eventually have time to do some track days (someday lol)

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
I recently upgraded mine. I went with EBC Yellowstuff pads and USR rotors. Also added StopTech lines and RBF600 fluid. I broke them in following the recommended break-in method that was listed in the paperwork that comes with them. After the break-in period I tested them out and they are noticably better than stock. I can brake later and stronger with these.

I was initially concerned about lifespan since the rotors are slotted, but after seeing how long the break-in takes I'm not worried. As far as noise is concerned, they do squeak every now and then. There is also the occasional hum when using them because of the slots, but it isn't loud or bad sounding.

I'd absolutely recommend them based on my experience, just keep in mind that they're more aimed at performance than comfort.

The best part is that I can use a set of 4 piston Brembo calipers from a 986 Boxster with these rotors by getting a set of brackets, lines, and pads. I've attached some pictures of them when they were first installed vs. now.

Last edited: