GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Appearance Protection questions

R3D9

Passed Driver's Ed
I’m considering purchasing a 2018 Golf R and after a lot of internet searching it’s become apparent that the short sidewalls and 19” sizing make wheel damage a legitimate concern.

Does anyone here have experience with purchasing VW’s Appearance Protection package? If so, have you made a claim and how was your experience?

If you don’t mind sharing how much you paid for the package and if any discount was negotiated, I’d appreciate that as well.

R3D9

Passed Driver's Ed
Helpful, thanks. :rolleyes: I see you drive a GTI. The R’s 19” wheels are prone to damage from pot-holes... seems to be a fairly common occurance.

I’m not really concerned about curbing the tires. That’s obviously avoidable with a bit of care. I think it’s fair to say even the best drivers can get surprised by a pothole every once in a while.

McCabe89

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Evo X & Golf R
Helpful, thanks. :rolleyes: I see you drive a GTI. The R’s 19” wheels are prone to damage from pot-holes... seems to be a fairly common occurance.

I’m not really concerned about curbing the tires. That’s obviously avoidable with a bit of care. I think it’s fair to say even the best drivers can get surprised by a pothole every once in a while.

I actually have a set of Pretoria's on my GTI. No issues but yes if you hit a good sized pothole doing 80 you make crack or bend the wheel. Same goes for shitty cast wheels though.

Jdreg

Ready to race!
The only time I would consider buying any insurance or extended warranty, is if the insured issue would cause me financial hardship. That varies based on people’s financial situation.
To some it’s their house to some it’s wheel.

If you don’t need the insurance based on the above criteria, take the money you would have paid insurance monthly in a bank account and use that, if and when the issues happens.

Over time all the money you would have paid for these insurance products will make you self insured. You keep what’s left. On average that will be about 88% after you pay any issues that happen. Same as an insurance coming.

ieddtech

Passed Driver's Ed
I actually have a set of Pretoria's on my GTI. No issues but yes if you hit a good sized pothole doing 80 you make crack or bend the wheel. Same goes for shitty cast wheels though.

First...the 18" Pretorias on my new Autobahn are STEEL. The 19" Pretorias...stock on all R's...are magnesium alloy/aluminum. VW tells me "that's how it is and no you can't buy VW manufactured STEEL 19" Pretorias. They don't exist and never will. Next question?" The second I heard that...I threw out the 19" Pretoria idea and had them install the 18's. (The stock rims on any version of the GTI in '16, '17 and '18...PUKE! They look exactly like the blades inside yer moms blender!)

The APP. I bought it. And had to make a claim and the fucking car wasn't even 2 months old. An asshole dump trunk hauling gravel...you know what happened next. BANG!!! Chip...right down to the bone! To be polite...VW Canada have no real issues with repairing leather, replacing a tire, repair/replace a wheel...but when it comes to paint/lacquer...they are real DICKS about approving the invocation of a claim. DOWN TO THE PENNY!

Watch out w/where you take a PAINT claim to. If that particular shop is like...a dollar too expensive (for VW) they'll tell you to shop around for estimates before they approve a repair under the APP insurance. ALSO, in Canada...yes...it's 0 deductible...BUT...you only get a TOTAL of $1000. INCLUDING ALL TAXES for the entire 5 year 4 star plan. And one tiny rock chip cost my plan $205. I now have only $795. left to claim FOR PAINT/LACQUER...for the next 4 years and 9 months.

Even if I HAD read thru the APP insurance properly and noticed that ridiculous limit for 5 years...you can't break up the plan. Or amend it to add more coverage. 5 years...$1000. max! As I said, the rest of the plan is pretty good actually.

Last edited: