GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS38 1.8T Info/Discussion

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Do you have a website for your tuning business or do I just send you a PM? I am interested in a custom tune in the future. I have Maestro and am getting a new HPFP and Golf R injectors.

Sure, just send me a PM.

Ironshade

Go Kart Newbie
Bringing this back up. Going to install an R vac pump, APR HPFP and R injectors here in the next few weeks. Is there a guide for the injector install? Looks like I have to take the intake manifold off to get at them?

Super simple. Remove Intake manifold. I think there’s a DIY on ecs tuning. I’ll have to search for it. But 3h job start to finish from what I understand.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Bringing this back up. Going to install an R vac pump, APR HPFP and R injectors here in the next few weeks. Is there a guide for the injector install? Looks like I have to take the intake manifold off to get at them?

I just did the hpfp and vacuum pump. Runs fine, but has a cold start issue. First start in the morning it stumbled and almost stalled. Then got an EPC. Waiting to hear what the code translates to from George. I know Chuck had the same cold start issue on his APR tune and stack. Something needs to be changed in the tables to allow more pressure at start up. After it sat for 3 hours in 40 degree weather, it was fine though. I only think it is an issue after it sits long enough for the fuel rail to de-pressurize

Nikolay1

I just did the hpfp and vacuum pump. Runs fine, but has a cold start issue. First start in the morning it stumbled and almost stalled. Then got an EPC. Waiting to hear what the code translates to from George. I know Chuck had the same cold start issue on his APR tune and stack. Something needs to be changed in the tables to allow more pressure at start up. After it sat for 3 hours in 40 degree weather, it was fine though. I only think it is an issue after it sits long enough for the fuel rail to de-pressurize

Hi, how it is going? Problem is still present?

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Hi, how it is going? Problem is still present?

I put the stock pump back on until I do the injectors. I did a lot of data testing and all of the rail pressure values were good. From what I could figure out, it is a voltage issue. The voltage from the regulator on the 2.0 pump is different from the 1.8. Not significant enough under normal conditions, but it causes the EPC on cold start. It was a pain in the ass to deal with every day. Joshua from CT Motorsports said it can be changed to work with a custom tune. So you would have to commit to having a protune done by someone who has the software to do it. Not Maestro or anything like that. If you are in a warm climate, it probably wouldn't be an issue.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Damn, that sucks. I guess you could go same route as Melted Solid and get and mk6 6spd.

Sad part is the 5 speed is really good as far as ease of driving and gear ratios. As in gear spacing is almost identical. No odd ball gearing like I see with the 6 speed.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Mechanically it's been perfect, but I'm still working on the tuning for the 6 speed. I've been distracted for a few months with my drift car and work, but last I heard from Unitronic is they've been busy but can do it when they get some time freed up. I just sent another message to them today. Maybe if I get more people with me interested in it that will motivate them more. I know Ironshade is a potential candidate too.

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
The biggest pro to the MQ250 5 speed is its weight and cost. The triple shaft MQ350 is heavier, but more durable and has a beefier clutch assembly. Since the MQ250 5 speed is just a slightly modified O2J the O2A/O2J gearsets on the market should just drop in. There are also 6 speed conversion kits for the O2A/O2J/MQ250, but you gain some weight and it requires some internal transmission modifications.
This is good to know if, knock on wood, the MQ250 decides to go tits up. Is there any more info on this topic somewhere, especially the drop in option?

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
As far as I'm aware Melted is the only 1.8t out there that has manged the MQ350 swap. Shame about the software situation, as mechanically everything swaps in just fine.

I do wonder if things would be easier with a Mk7 Alltrack MQ350. Multiple tuners already have files good to go for that setup, so it may ease the software woes. Still, I'd imagine that there's not exactly a ton of loose Alltrack manual transmissions lying around.

d k

Hello.

Im considering a IS38 upgrade for my gti7.

Im seeing huge price differences between 700ish and 2000.

Is there anything particular to watch out for?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hello.

Im considering a IS38 upgrade for my gti7.

Im seeing huge price differences between 700ish and 2000.

Is there anything particular to watch out for?

You should be able to get an OEM IS38 new for around $1400. You're going to need a tune also.

Ironshade

Go Kart Newbie
Was this engine failure Chuck G or someone else?
Yup melted pistion after hundreds of passes at drag strip and a playing with more and more boost. Car needed a def meth nozzle. I went from 500cc to 700cc and run +7 psi stack on apr’s is38 file. Currently at 117k miles. I went is38 80k ago and been runing my high stack for past 40k miles.