GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine break-in all wrong :(

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If it makes you feel any better, the ECU has protections in place for X number of miles for the break in. Just do what the manual says for the remainder of the period and you’ll be fine. Also, no need to continue breaking in past the VW recommended break in period. Lastly, I recommend you doing a search on this as it’s been discussed quite a bit befor and you'll see opinions vary wildly as to what the best break in practice is.

Any idea how many?

tknj99

Ready to race!

Cowzill00

Ready to race!
I pulled out the manual last night and couldn't find any mention of a break-in period.

It's in there. My sales guy told me there wasn't a break in period any more. "Just drive it." I had a 300 mile highway trip home from the dealer.

Then I checked the book and it mentions taking it easy up til the 800 (?) mile mark and then easing into more throttle up to 1k, whatever that means.

I lost patience and launched it at 700 miles. But I do give the oil until 200 degrees before any proper flogging. That may or may not be more important than the "break in." Makes sense to me at least. I will err on the safe side there for those pesky 10 minutes of warm up.:cool:

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
DetroitGTI said:
I didn’t realize sustained speeds over long periods of time isn’t good during the break-in period.

It's not so much sustained speeds as it is sustained engine speeds, and even if you had the cruise control on, there had to be some fluctuation in RPM on the way back to The Mitten, since even that accursed state to our south isn't completely flat.

Besides, as others have said, a good majority of drivers don't drive any differently during the break-in period; my salesperson even said that wasn't a thing anymore, though I know (as does the owners manual) that's not the case. Also, no matter what you do during break-in, a turbocharged engine like ours is always going to consume some oil.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Any idea how many?

Just saw that I missed this.

I don’t remember how many miles, if I ever knew quite honestly. The answer may lie in VCDS which is where I got this info. This is going off my memory from 3 years ago when I got my car, but IIRC, there appears to be adaptations that turn off at a certain mileage that correlates with the break in. I’d have to dig through my adaptation database to find more specifics.

Splashalot1

.....I don’t remember how many miles, if I ever knew quite honestly. The answer may lie in VCDS which is where I got this info. This is going off my memory from 3 years ago when I got my car, but IIRC, there appears to be adaptations that turn off at a certain mileage that correlates with the break in. I’d have to dig through my adaptation database to find more specifics.

Did you have any luck finding this info?

I've just taken delivery of a 2018 GTI which has been a bit underwhelming so far in terms of engine performance/response. I'm hoping this is due to the rumoured break-in map.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Did you have any luck finding this info?

I've just taken delivery of a 2018 GTI which has been a bit underwhelming so far in terms of engine performance/response. I'm hoping this is due to the rumoured break-in map.

No they're just slow.

Tune it.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
No thanks. I like the idea of a warranty.

He's right though, the gear ratios are WAY too tall for stock power. That's why the car seems so slow. You can maintain your warranty and get a good 15%+ increase in power by getting a JB4.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Stock MK7 GTI seemed slow to me. I gave the GTI the opportunity to impress me before I bought an R. My stage 1 MK5 would have ate the GTI for breakfast

NBMK7GTI

Go Kart Newbie
I beat the absolute shit out of my car the first 1000 miles I had it. There's two schools of thought for proper break in on any modern motor and I chose the one thats rough. I have 30k on the car now (29 of them tuned, 5 of them on an is38) and have no issues. I also haven't burned a drop of oil at all. I wouldn't worry too much about it.