GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big time issues

importrx7

Ready to race!
Maybe pull the plugs? I do still have the factory plugs which only have about 6k miles on them in the garage somewhere

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Ya, couldn’t hurt. Although I’m on stock plugs for 12,500 miles all of “stage 2”. I kept meaning to change them, but I got a bunch of parts stockpiled to go on this month, they’ll get put in then. Unlike others, they’ve never given me an issue and UM said not to bother, in my case (s) they’ve been right, 16 stage 1 R 10,000 miles and this 17 with 12,500 have never given me an issue. I do plan on putting rs7 plugs in the 16 in spring and already have the ngk racing plugs sitting with a pile of parts for the 17.

Good luck bud, really I wouldn’t be surprised if reflashing solves it but you’re probably due for plugs anyway at least ya can see how they’ve worn, it’s a good idea while you’re messing around with her. Keep posting what you find/figure out. Thanks and good luck!

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
You’re not running denso’s by chance are you? They’ve been known for failures.

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
Also, here's a diagnostic screenshot for P2188 courtesy of YourMechanic.com:

Do you have access to VCDS or OBDeleven for doing output tests and monitoring fuel trims? And did your exhaust always sound so killer, or do you think the turbo-back has exhaust leak now?

Last edited:

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
I admire you guys with the gumption to do these aggressive tunes. I'm way too chicken to risk my only car this way. Well, that and I have no where to actually use even the power the stock car puts out.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Just as an FYI, it's in and out play that is bad for turbos, not so much the up and down unless it is noticeably hitting the compressor housing.

Also, have you ruled out that all of your coil packs work? Could be limp mode, but I wouldn't think limp mode would cause such a rough idle.

Noize1

Ready to race!
Check intercooler and intake pipe connections, flash to stock, drive car, and report back.
If it drives fine after, obviously don't use that map again.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I admire you guys with the gumption to do these aggressive tunes. I'm way too chicken to risk my only car this way. Well, that and I have no where to actually use even the power the stock car puts out.

Can't drive fast with a dog in the car anyway, they too stupid to buckle up :D

Asfa

Passed Driver's Ed
I have never understood why people have so many problems after they tune their cars , it seems that either they drive their cars like they stole it after a tune or they start playing with shit that they got no business playing with or simply don’t understand
I tuned my car like 5k miles ago and I haven’t had absolutely any problems at all but I take care of my car , I don’t drive it hard every time that I get in it , once in a while I push it a little but I don’t treat my car like it is my enemy , also I do maintenance on time and even tho I’m a professional tech I do work on the hardware ( IC , DP , etc ) but when it comes to the tuning I pay for a qualified tuner to do that because I simply don’t have neither the equipment or the capabilities to do it and I don’t fuck around with my car

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
I have never understood why people have so many problems after they tune their cars , it seems that either they drive their cars like they stole it after a tune or they start playing with shit that they got no business playing with or simply don’t understand
I tuned my car like 5k miles ago and I haven’t had absolutely any problems at all but I take care of my car , I don’t drive it hard every time that I get in it , once in a while I push it a little but I don’t treat my car like it is my enemy , also I do maintenance on time and even tho I’m a professional tech I do work on the hardware ( IC , DP , etc ) but when it comes to the tuning I pay for a qualified tuner to do that because I simply don’t have neither the equipment or the capabilities to do it and I don’t fuck around with my car

Some percentage of cars are known to fail prematurely and a tune just speeds up the process. Every tune is also different so its possible his tune is too aggressive and caused damage under the right circumstances (temperature / fuel quality).

lucyfek

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI & GSW
Check intercooler and intake pipe connections, flash to stock, drive car, and report back.
If it drives fine after, obviously don't use that map again.
that's what I'd check as well - it sounds like the intake system is open somewhere. Block the pipe at the air filter, and see if the rest kept pressure (technically this should be a closed system, even with one of intake valve sets opened, the exhaust valves for the cylinder would be closed). Also, check the DV valve - by dumping all the boost back to airbox it'll make your R run in NA mode (maybe something sets it to open due to another malfunction but it'd likely be easy to force it closed for quick test).

Daument

Ready to race!

^^ this ... agree, I drive it “normally” 98% of the time. I don’t beat on it, launch it or attempt to shift if flat out. I do drive it aggressively at times however. I generally don’t do mods many consider to have marginal performance gains.

Uni stage 2 e20 93 octane
JB4 ... usually on map 4 for logging, map 6 for special occasions
AWE catted resonated downpipe
TTRS do it yourself kit

I purchased a BMS meth kit but at this point the car runs well... perhaps in the spring

YMMV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule

Me neither.

importrx7

Ready to race!
The turbo went and VW won’t cover it. They send the data off to Germany and they found evidence that it was tuned cause the dealer found no evidence of it and VW called BS with my other mods. They were even able to tell me the mileage in which it was done. Before anyone says it, I wasn’t pushing tons of boost only 24 PSI, always used good fuel and never beat on it until it was warmed up. I simply had bad luck and now begins what I should exactly do.