GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Features that will be lame or cool in 20 years.

adam1991

Banned
I liked the first reference--"in 20 years this will look like the gold package on a 90s Lexus".

That's my go-to for cars now, much like "that'll be the next Harvest Gold" is when I look at home decorating trends.

adam1991

Banned
Ambient lighting--not sure about this one, but I do like the very low-key, simple white footwell lights in my GTI. I would not go beyond that, and I would not make those colored, or brighter, or color shifting, or anything like that.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Wait, gold package isn't "in" anymore?

Come to Ft Hood and you'll think otherwise

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Ambient lighting I like. Along with the ICE, those are the things in that list I think will always be good. The rest they are pretty spot on about.

My wife's Escape has that "waggle your foot under the bumper" thing to open the hatch. Most the time, you aren't in the right spot to do it, and you end up doing the hokey pokey int he parking lot to the amusement of all in sight. So, no, just no.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Lol...black mirror caps. They used to be on low end models. Now black caps are a "sport" feature. Back then it was all about color matching them black caps.

I saw some commercial for the Focus RS. The Ford rep pointed them out as "black sport mirror caps".

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Some of their reasoning is just absurd. Ambient interior lighting didn't happen during the F&F era and then go away because it wasn't cool. Like many other innovations, someone did it themselves first, then others copied it, and then finally the car makers caught on and started installing it at the factory. Same thing happened with car alarms, remote start, mobile audio that sounds decent, in-dash CD players, USB connections, etc.

On the other hand, matte-look paint finishes were dumb when they were conceived, and purchased only by the stupid.

Luxury Car Salesman: "So, we're almost done selecting the options on your car, just one more thing before we place the order; for an extra $3000, would you like to make it look like they forgot to spray your car with clearcoat before it left the factory?"

Rich Idiot Who Inherited Their Money or Earned it By Playing Sportsball: "Yeah, that sounds cool!"

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Lol...black mirror caps. They used to be on low end models. Now black caps are a "sport" feature. Back then it was all about color matching them black caps.

x2 on this

If it comes painted or chrome now, people want it blacked out (when they "mod" it)

If it comes blacked out, then people want it painted or chrome instead as an upgrade.

They just want the opposite to be different or something

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Here's the Tercel with the black sports mirrors and optional aerodynamic package.

Attachments

• 20180105_084321.jpg
    20180105_084321.jpg
    900.5 KB · Views: 281

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Here's the Tercel with the black sports mirrors and optional aerodynamic package.

And here's where it started, except Honda did it to match the black plastic on the bottom of the car, as well as the black see-through part of the hatch:

And also it was the 1980s so all Hondas were economy cars at their core.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
x2 on this

If it comes painted or chrome now, people want it blacked out (when they "mod" it)

If it comes blacked out, then people want it painted or chrome instead as an upgrade.

They just want the opposite to be different or something

I generally agree with this and believe that's why most people do it as well, just to be different than factory and mess with stuff because it's a cheaper mod.

I, on the other hand though, just don't like chrome as a finish on anything haha. So, I tend to black things out or color match because of that. I actually picked the North Face backpack I just got because it has black zippers instead of silver.

Tl;dr - I'm nuts.

Edit: It's good to see you. Haven't seen this username since golfmkv haha.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I think puddle lights are a great feature and will actually become more prevalent as time goes on. Just as long as theres no cheezy logo projected.

Same with interior and exterior lighting. Over the decades manufacturers have been continually adding more and more lights to cars and other products. Everyone has always loved pretty lights. I dont see Christmas lights going out of style any time soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I think one thing they forgot too add to the list is the current HP arms race. It will probably die down again. I think at some point some fuel crisis will probably hit again like in the 70’s, also safety concerns of everyone driving over powered cars (toyota famry with 300hp??), and self driving cars will have an impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
Another - Angry Headlights

Mk7 is as guilty as the rest. There's currently a race to see who can develop the most angry/intense/focused "face" on the front of a car.