GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Eibach Pro-Kit with Bilstein B6 or B8 ??

DrDavid

Ready to race!
I have my car with eibach prokit springs and the original shock absorbers.
If I put Bilstein B8 shocks the height of the car varies? I do not want it to go down anymore because I would start touching everywhere.

With the stock shocks when i go over a nump the shock goes to the top (clanck!!) Then the B6 will be the same......

Anyone knows if the bilstein B8 go down the heigh ? Or its deppend only of the springs ?
Sorry for my english.... (Argentina)

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Bilstein B6 and B8 maintain the same spring seat height as the OE shocks. You don’t go any lower with them. B6 has the same extended length as the OE shock while a B8 is shorter by ~20mm. Use B6 with factory springs and B8 with lowering springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BananaSlug

Ready to race!
I have Eibach Pro-Kit with B8's and I haven't had any issues even with the shitty roads here in San Antonio.

madracer

Passed Driver's Ed
I have Eibach Pro-Kit with B8's and I haven't had any issues even with the shitty roads here in San Antonio.

I have the eibach pro kit as well, and thinking of the B8 shocks in the future.
How is the ride and handling?
So uncertain, added to the fact that a set of B8 shocks will be around 1000usd in South Africa.

BananaSlug

Ready to race!
I have the eibach pro kit as well, and thinking of the B8 shocks in the future.
How is the ride and handling?
So uncertain, added to the fact that a set of B8 shocks will be around 1000usd in South Africa.

The ride is only slightly harsher than stock. The handling is amazing, body roll is almost non-existent. My car feels like it really hugs the road on corners even on shitty OEM A/S tires.

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
For reference Bilstein's B12 Cup kit utilizes B8 shocks with Eibach's Pro linear springs. If you're concerned about ride quality I'm sure you could find a few reviews of the cup kit with a little searching. Obviously Bilstein is fine with the pairing so I would think ride quality would be fine.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Let’s define ride and handling.

Ride: Road driven inputs like heave, pitch, roll, impacts and harshness.

Handling: Driver inputs like steering, accelerating, braking.

With my B16 in full soft at -1“ the ride is compact with less body motion. It’s less busy and much more connected to the road without being bumpy or short. Occasionally sharper impacts are a little bit harsher.

In terms of handling it’s totally different than stock. The car feels planted with all driver inputs. I didn’t like the stock Bridgestone all-seasons in dry and wet for steering, but since there is less weight transfer they are almost ok (only heavy rain NOK). For more spirited driving I go to click 4 front and 3 rear and still have a ton of comfort left.

I know that B6, B8 and B12 share the same hydraulic damping, B14 is slightly different. B16 in soft is supposed to be very similar to them. My recommendation is B14. According to TireRack it is ~$100 more expensive than B8 and Eibach Pro-Kit but you can adjust your ride height lower or higher as you like it or need it.

Last edited:

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
B14, that's the PSS coilovers right? I may be looking into the B14s when I do my suspension. The only reason I was referencing the B12 cup kit was the OP already has Eibach Pro springs and is looking for dampers to match.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

madracer

Passed Driver's Ed
The ride is only slightly harsher than stock. The handling is amazing, body roll is almost non-existent. My car feels like it really hugs the road on corners even on shitty OEM A/S tires.

Thanks for the info, will give it a shot. The setup does look good and if the car feels more stable / less body roll, that will be a good plus point for track days.

tripleS

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI PP \ 16 GT4
B14 does not have the same damping as the standalone shocks. PSS is a coilover set with much stiffer 400/420lb springs than Eibach ones on the B12 kit

B12 shocks should be the identical to B8, which have the same exact damping as the longer-stroke B6 shocks. Just to clear that up :)

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
tripleS you’re right about my wrong [emoji30] statement earlier. B14 does not have 100% the same valve code but the damping forces and characteristics are similar. I edited my statement accordingly.

Cssoz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf 7, 2017 1.8T
@ZERO815 I'm sorry to BUMP this thread but I'm thinking of getting either:
  • Eibach Pro-Kit E10-15-021-02-22 OR H&R Springs 54786 on
    • Stock Strut/Shocks for now THEN when replacement time comes which one would be better ? B6 vs B8 Plus
  • I know that B8 Plus is design for lowered springs which the two springs above are!

• I have read from other places that Eibach Pro with B8 Plus is under-damped and with H&R the ride is comfortable. some on this forum says it's just a bit stiffer.
  • Probably due to Eibach Pro Kit is meant for OE strut/shocks ?
    • My ultimate goal is to NOT have my car lower than just the spring height that's why I'm considering B6 eventually; but being designed for stock height springs makes me worry​
    • I do live in Canada with sometimes bad winter and 0 snow gets plowed. coil overs is too much for maintenance and price as well for me​
  • What is the B6 vs B8 Plus height difference? I can not find info on this at all :cry:

• No rush in answering! im at ~94,000km and have tons of time before I replace my struts/shocks/mounts
Please & Thank you! ♥️

Last edited:

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
There's no ride height difference between B6 and B8 because they have the same shock body. B8's are just 20mm shorter in extended length. If you use aftermarket springs that require shorter shocks go w/ B8. These days most European aftermarket springs (e.g. H&R, Eibach) don't require shorter shocks any more --> B6.

tripleS

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI PP \ 16 GT4
^ Bingo nailed it! B6 would have more shock extension (droop) available.

Less droop with B8s on extension, For all intents and purposes this only places the shock closer to the "middle" of it's available travel at ride height when using the same lowering springs on the B8, versus B6. In general more droop a better thing to have than the opposite of not enough; it allows the tires to stay in contact with the ground for a longer duration until full extension.

The biggest concern with too much droop, is if the spring is not long enough on full extension it wouldn't be seated, that's why helper springs are used in coilovers for instance, to keep the main spring always seated. With aftermarket springs it shouldn't 't be any problem if they were "designed to be used with" the stock struts in the first place; so an aftermarket shock of same OEM length (B6) is fine. No need really go shorter shock (B8) unless you want to be in the "middle of travel" and give up droop.

Saying this as someone who has B8s and super happy with them but would go with B6s if had to do it again.

Cssoz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf 7, 2017 1.8T
There's no ride height difference between B6 and B8 because they have the same shock body. B8's are just 20mm shorter in extended length. If you use aftermarket springs that require shorter shocks go w/ B8. These days most European aftermarket springs (e.g. H&R, Eibach) don't require shorter shocks any more --> B6.
I see the eibach are "tested with stock dampers" so I can actually get B6? =O

Thank you for your replies!
^ Bingo nailed it! B6 would have more shock extension (droop) available.

Less droop with B8s on extension, For all intents and purposes this only places the shock closer to the "middle" of it's available travel at ride height when using the same lowering springs on the B8, versus B6. In general more droop a better thing to have than the opposite of not enough; it allows the tires to stay in contact with the ground for a longer duration until full extension.

The biggest concern with too much droop, is if the spring is not long enough on full extension it wouldn't be seated, that's why helper springs are used in coilovers for instance, to keep the main spring always seated. With aftermarket springs it shouldn't 't be any problem if they were "designed to be used with" the stock struts in the first place; so an aftermarket shock of same OEM length (B6) is fine. No need really go shorter shock (B8) unless you want to be in the "middle of travel" and give up droop.

Saying this as someone who has B8s and super happy with them but would go with B6s if had to do it again.
hm 🤔 so B6 is for sure better for daily driving (winter as well) I might drop some money for these as well. it's around $500cad different vs B4
thanks doe replying as well.