GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

coolant smell

kungfudill

Ready to race!
Abruptly today the inside of my car started to smell like--what I would describe as--a coolant smell while the fan was on.
No visible leaks under the hood, no drips under the car, no CEL, no temperature concerns.

Any trouble shooting suggestions?

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Sure it wasn't from a car you were following?

kungfudill

Ready to race!
Any update on the coolant smell?

taking it into the dealership in the morning.

I have found that there is also a washer fluid smell coming through the vent, if I use my wipers. For the life of me, I can't pinpoint any leaks. We'll see what the dealer says.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
taking it into the dealership in the morning.

I have found that there is also a washer fluid smell coming through the vent, if I use my wipers. For the life of me, I can't pinpoint any leaks. We'll see what the dealer says.

If you use your wipers or wash your windshield?

kungfudill

Ready to race!
Dealership found no leaks or issues. I’m just going to watch it for now.

On the plus side, I left my dealership appointment and immediately installed my JB4. Now it’s time to see what I think ��

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
Heater core. If it leaks it will leak into the car and will smell.

https://youtu.be/ELprS6sj0mU

Also composite water pump. It would leak down the oil pan

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
My engine from day 1 has always had a burning smell of coolant every now and then especially with fans on or when its idling. Coolant level has never dropped its pretty strange. Never found visible signs of leaks or coolant stains anywhere near the front, bottom, side, or rear.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I occasionally get the stink of coolant too. If you're getting a greasy film on the inside of your windshield chances are it's the heater core. Next time you get the stink hit the defrost button and turn the fan up. Make sure the engine is hot. If the leak is bad enough you should get stinky steam coming out of the defroster vents.