GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

upgrade rotors?

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
I'm having a hard time finding directional vane rotors. I've only been able to find ECS' which is drilled and slotted (no thanks), and Emmannuele Design. Are there no others for our cars?

I'd like to ask again, when you say "removing shields," what shields are you talking about? Thanks for all the advice by the way.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]Dust shields, located behind your rotors, affecting both ventilation and heat
radiation. ;)

Many real racing gear vendors will easily supply suitable directionally vented
two-piece rotors, assembled from AP-Racing, Performance Friction or Brembo
parts, drilled to suit your car and with the 'face' (drilled, slotted or plain) you
prefer. The huge downside is they're certainly somewhere near 1000 € a pair.

:( [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
lol, ugh. I'll just go with the StopTechs I linked to above, I'm sure they'll be enough for light track duty, though I do like to get on the brakes. They've been making braking products for years with success and know their stuff, and the slots will at least help some according to all the reading I've been doing.

And the dust shields, thank you that makes sense. I'll do that when I install my vents since that will be necessary. I thought you were talking about the splash guard for a second. What is the point of those anyway? (the dust shields)

Splash guard and dust shield is the same. Several purposes, one of them is
protecting ball joints and ABS sensors from hot rotors. That's why you should
either wrap these with heat insulating tape or keep your shields and modify
them so that you leave some of it where necessary or use RS3 ones that
come already 'skeletonized' from factory.
There may exist other reasons as keeping road debris and water off, but I
never had any issues running without the shields. If anything, I had issues
with keeping them. Either way, brakes require cooling when used on track.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
When I say splash guard I'm talking about the plastic piece that attaches to the bottom of the bumper basically. That's why I was confused. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Thanks for this discussion. On the pad side, is there anything out there that's hybrid street autox and quiet? Or is that a unicorn?
Tried pfc z on a bmw and was impressed with feel and stopping tho mine made a smidge of noise at complete stop when cold.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

There's plenty marketed as 'hybrid' stuff and you'd guess it - very most is
somewhat compromised. Still, dual purpose street and autocross isn't that
of an impossible task (as street + track would). Unfortunately 'silence' is a
relative property. While some brake pads on some cars with some drivers
are silent very most of the time, the same pads on another car and driver
are not.
PFC Z-rated is excellent for street. I did recommend them from time to time,
though I wouldn't recommend them for tracking. If you liked the feel I'd give
them a try again. If you fit them properly (cleaning calipers carefully and use
some ceramic paste where appropriate) there's some good chance to prevent
very most if not any noise.
Endless MX72 is probably one of the few available that cover some track use
while being still silent on the street. They're little harder to obtain and more
expensive though. 'Some track use' because this is no true racing stuff. ;)

You know,
unicorn. :D

Last edited:

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Thank you!

Sent from mobile

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
I gotta say I have been pretty happy with the Porterfield S4-S pads so far... They don't have the initial bite that the OEM pads do when cold, but when warm/hot they bite great and never faded at the track last weekend. This isn't to say they don't stop when they're cold, they do, they just don't have that bite when cold, that's all.

Supposed to be low noise and low dust also, and seem they've been living up to that so far. Will have to write a review or something after I've had some more time and track days with them. AutoX'd with them this weekend as well, they seemed fine.

geebob

Ready to race!
The RS4 is a great street performance pad, been using them for years on many cars, but they're iffy as a track pad by al accounts. With a GTI - low weight, big brakes and not too much top end, you could be okay, but if you smoke them, they're done. As in ruined. Seems like a great auto-x pad though.

Not trying to worry you, just be careful. On the right track and with a little forethought, a guy could make them work as a track/street compromise.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
The RS4 is a great street performance pad, been using them for years on many cars, but they're iffy as a track pad by al accounts. With a GTI - low weight, big brakes and not too much top end, you could be okay, but if you smoke them, they're done. As in ruined. Seems like a great auto-x pad though.

Not trying to worry you, just be careful. On the right track and with a little forethought, a guy could make them work as a track/street compromise.

R4-S! Haha, that's what I was trying to say. They're at least better than the stock PP pad! Do you have experience with the R4 track version at all? Wondering if I can swap them out, or if the R4 will eat my rotors.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I got a couple questions....
Are the r4s available for standard gti / 1.8t calipers?

Are brass guide pin bushings a thing on the mk7?

Sent from mobile

Quebster

Autocross Newbie

geebob

Ready to race!
R4-S! Haha, that's what I was trying to say. They're at least better than the stock PP pad! Do you have experience with the R4 track version at all? Wondering if I can swap them out, or if the R4 will eat my rotors.
None at all. Tracking a street car can be as involved as you want it to be, but it takes some involvement no matter how serious/casual you are. On this car, I'd think you could get a track only pad that wouldn't be a problem with rotor wear. Or you could just get autozone blanks and replace as needed - a lot of guys do that I think.

Not having huge power and weight is a big bonus for this car if you want to track it seems to me. From talk on various forums for different cars, if I was tracking my car and wanted to run one pad, I'd try the Ferodo 2500. Maybe a little noise on the street, but probably okay under stress at the track. But most everyone that tracks seriously uses track pads.

Anyhow, I don't track (but I did used to race) so grain of salt is appropriate.

Call this place, David might have some feedback for you.

https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=1_290_64_5973&osCsid=sfsva8f4srjc99rcj2usf582o4

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
http://porterfield-brakes.com/product_info.php?productID=28908

Not sure what you're talking about when you say brass guide bushings, but then again I don't really know anything. Hopefully someone can answer you.
hey thanks for the link, Ill check it out.

brass caliper guide pin bushings are made for bmw and there are threads out there for earlier gen gti golf. Instead of rubber, brass bushings have little tolerance and improve brake pedal feel. Downside is they require maintenance with high temp grease. Had them on my prev e90 bmw, cost about $50 per axle, nice brake mod.

Sent from mobile