GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

control for switch lighting

flogR

Ready to race!
Exploring our new Golf R 2019, where do I find the brightness control for instruments and switch lighting i.e. the wheel you turn up or down please?

Also, is there a boot light switch somewhere? I find it very dim and from the yellowish color the bulb seems to be a filament type. I'd like to swap it for an LED I had in our previous car which was brilliant bright and white!

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Brightness in in the infotainment system settings.

The switch is built into the catch. Easy to change to LED. just but a canbus friendly one.

Urlik

Go Kart Newbie
Does anyone ever dim the instrument panel lights anymore? Maybe on a road with no streetlights on a moonless night, but I don't otherwise see how it helps.

Really? You think everyone prefers the same brightness? My wife keeps her instruments bright. I keep mine as dim as possible to enhance night vision outside the car.

flogR

Ready to race!
Thx all. Yep , no control wheel.. it's done via the Infotainment menu "Vehicle". Brightness, independent of the instruments, can be set by scrolling down.

I checked what CANBus meant, then (luckily I'm an hoarder) found the original packaging for the bulb and it says "CANBus compatible" .

Our car was built after June 2018 and following the financial year system is referred to as a 2019.

We are loving this car but the learning experience is enormous with all the bells and whistles. I just wish we had a dedicated Owner's manual. Ours came with an all in one version for the Golf, Golf GTI, Golf GTD, and R. Extracting the R-relevant info. is a pain.

flogR

Ready to race!
Changing the bulb looks simple. I prised out the fitting and there's a plug you can pull out to disconnect the electron flow & let the bulb cool. Unfortunately my LED is way too short for a straight swap.

S1ack

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Does anyone ever dim the instrument panel lights anymore? [/url]

Yes, I find myself adjusting more than I'd like because of changing ambient light. At night it's fully toward dim. Dusk/Dawn I increase it a bit.

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
Our car was built after June 2018 and following the financial year system is referred to as a 2019.

If you want to avoid confusion when getting parts or finding what's compatible with your car, the only accurate way to find the year is the 10th digit of the VIN, I'm going to guess yours is a "J"