GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

mk3vr6me

Ready to race!
Success! So Jack finished up this morning and all seems to be working nicely. I'll re-cap. I swapped the MIB2 into my 2015 a couple months ago and had dealer (my friend) remove CP. I was left with a car that had no Bluetooth/Phone/Voice or obviously CarPlay. This morning Jack was able to push the FeCs for the above into my infotainment as well as enable CarPlay with the donor VIN. He even surprised me when he enabled Performance Monitor as well :D It was a freebie he said for waiting so long!

I did notice that Performance Monitor does not work 100% correctly as the oil temp and coolant stay at 120F and will not go higher even as the car warms up. The boost gauge is either at 0 or 14.5 PSI as I move. I brought this up with Jack and he told me it's probably the pre-facelift car just not sending the correct data to the new MIB unit. Which is fine, I doubt I'd use it much anyways.

Keep in mind and this may be info to you all. The MIB2 unit I purchased and installed is the 3Q0035844A revision (out of a late 2017 GTI). So Jack is able to do this on the newer 'A' revision MIB2 units without issue. There was some confusion earlier in the thread that he may not. He said he's done a few of them now. With the parts I purchased and the service Jack has provided it put me at a hair over $500 USD for this swap which IMO is well worth it! I'll make it clear again that Jack is a very professional and kind individual. I'd recommend him to anyone looking to do this swap and wanting everything to work correctly. He knows exactly what he is doing.

I'll attach some pics below:

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I also have an 844A unit that he did all the activations for. Didn't have him do performance monitor as he wasn't sure what I would see, if anything on my '15 TDI. Awesome guy though, I hadn't received my new USB/Cable when he did my activation.

He wouldn't let me pay him for almost a week while the parts were delayed in the mail, even though he had done all the work. He wanted to make sure all was good first. Enjoy the upgrade!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
I did notice that Performance Monitor does not work 100% correctly as the oil temp and coolant stay at 120F and will not go higher even as the car warms up. The boost gauge is either at 0 or 14.5 PSI as I move. I brought this up with Jack and he told me it's probably the pre-facelift car just not sending the correct data to the new MIB unit. Which is fine, I doubt I'd use it much anyways.

Updating to the latest engine and gateway firmware for your car could help out with this issue.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
That's good to hear about the 844a update. I haven't checked in with him in ages to do the carplay activation on mine, so i'm still holding onto the 844 unit i have (yep, have both, 844a installed currently with bluetooth only). Maybe i'll followup with him about finishing the job.

stuntnuts

Go Kart Newbie
Question for anyone who went from a non-NAV unit to a NAV unit... How do you activate the info screen on the stock instrument cluster to display the NAV information?

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
Well Jack did say "can try to look if there is some update for engine, anyway with flashing I can't help remotely -too dangerous" which makes sense lol.

Haha yes, and he's right.. So many things that can go wrong, plus flashing remotely isn't as fast as locally. When your 12V batt drops too low, stuff will get awkward, and when your connection drops, your car won't be driving anymore :D

stuntnuts

Go Kart Newbie
Jack pulled through for me this morning....beyond stoked! I now have the first 2018 "S" trim with MIB2, NAV, and 8" glass screen in the USA.

Last edited:

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Will a 3Q0035819B MIB 2 glove box unit work or it has to be a 3Q0035844 unit?

Not sure, but since it is missing two of the connectors on the back (blue and brown) I would seriously question if it will work. The 3Q0035844 has a white, yellow, pink along with blue and brown connectors.

Tsi7

Ready to race!
Not sure, but since it is missing two of the connectors on the back (blue and brown) I would seriously question if it will work. The 3Q0035844 has a white, yellow, pink along with blue and brown connectors.

ah man that sucks... there is a listing on ebay for a glove box unit and screen that's being auctioned. I figured if it worked and I could win the package at a decent price it might be worth doing the conversion. The unit I asked about came out of a Touran according to the seller

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
MIB1 w/ fender to MIB2 with fender has been successfully completed today. Carplay and 8inch MK7.5 screen soon