GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to: remove the display trim panel

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
For anyone who wants to either upgrade their stock 6.5" display to 8", upgrade their headunit, or add a Helix sub to a 2018 base model with integrated headunit+display, you have to remove the trim panel around the display. To do this the proper way, you need two copies of a special VW tool, which inserts into the center vents and pulls the trim panel and vents out as one complete unit.

Without the specialized tools, most people (including those who've made youtube how-tos) pry the trim panel away from the vents using trim tools, leaving the vents in the dash. The problem with this method is that you have to pry really hard. The trim panel is held to the vents by 12 small and delicate plastic snap tabs, and you will probably break a few in the process.

If you remove the panel and vents as one complete unit, as VW recommends, you are only working against four metal tabs which are not likely to break, and which are designed to release with less effort.

To remove my panel, I fabricated a wooden tool to do essentially what the VW tools do. It's made from a small block of wood and a dowel cut at a 40 degree angle.

The tool inserts into the hole for the 4-way flasher switch, and engages the frame of the vents. Once engaged, you simply pull toward you, and the vents + trim panel pop out. No broken tabs!

See my video demonstration here, shot by my 12 year camera videographer: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XhuFdiOmzimC74aOh0l2EzCY_zCj47X0

Happy to loan the tool to anyone who needs it for cost of shipping.

Last edited:

Lurchalicious

Ready to race!
I found this in a Google search. Great little trick, did you also make the YouTube video?

How long did you make the block on the end of the dowel?

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I found this in a Google search. Great little trick, did you also make the YouTube video?

How long did you make the block on the end of the dowel?

Yes that's my video. Block is 2-5/8" x 1" x 3/4". Angled 20 degrees from perpendicular at the end of the dowel.

Lurchalicious

Ready to race!
I ended up using a 3" piece of bar stock screwed to a 45 degree angle cut of a wooden dowel. Came out much better than prying around like in the past, also it fixed the issue of the trim not fully seating around the vent wheels.

To anyone looking to recreate - Id recommend a hardwood dowel/square rod and a 2" wood screw with a washer. My little 1" screw and bar piece lasted about 90% of the removal before it came off the end of the dowel.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I ended up using a 3" piece of bar stock screwed to a 45 degree angle cut of a wooden dowel. Came out much better than prying around like in the past, also it fixed the issue of the trim not fully seating around the vent wheels.

To anyone looking to recreate - Id recommend a hardwood dowel/square rod and a 2" wood screw with a washer. My little 1" screw and bar piece lasted about 90% of the removal before it came off the end of the dowel.

IMO this is a must-have tool for removing that center vent trim. People should not be trying to pry out the vents from the larger trim like in all the youtube videos. The dowel method is closest to VW's official method.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I've had that trim out so many times and never thought to see what the official tool was or make something like this. This looks to be a lot less painful than my current method where I use my fingers instead to do the same thing.

Lurchalicious

Ready to race!
I've had that trim out so many times and never thought to see what the official tool was or make something like this. This looks to be a lot less painful than my current method where I use my fingers instead to do the same thing.
For me it was the only way to make my trim sit right. The vents never fully connected with the trim panel leaving the adjustment wheels slightly recessed

jlk_250

Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to say that I wish I had seen it earlier, before I removed my trim panel. I watched several videos and in my case the vents stayed in the car rather than coming off with the trim as some or most of the videos showed. I now realize I want to get the vents out so I can attach them to the new trim piece more easily, and came across this video. Thanks, it will help.

If anyone comes across this thread while looking to upgrade their display to the 8" glass display, I can confirm that it is worth it. I bought mine used on eBay and it was relatively cheap and totally awesome.