GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB1 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread.

cuda2000

Car(s)
2017 Golf SW 4motion
Due to increasing gas prices, I'm tempted to go down to 87 octane. Is there a preferred setting on JB1 for 87? Other than turning it off on map zero. ;)

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Due to increasing gas prices, I'm tempted to go down to 87 octane. Is there a preferred setting on JB1 for 87? Other than turning it off on map zero. ;)

We have done quite a lot of testing recently using the JB4 on 87 and have a idea more or less what will work.
Set boost safety to 3.0 and you should be good for 87.

CanUK

Buy new or used JB1?

I know George is moderating here and a very very helpful resource... no offence intended asking this question: I have limited funds and am considering buying a used JB1 for my MKVII (2018) 4motion sportwagen and wondering if I need to find someone selling the "Group 3" version or if the "Group" is firmware related and can be updated/changed on any "box"?

Also relevant if I'm buying new because my Golf is a bit of a "niche" vehicle here in Canada and I'd want to sell it used one day... would be good to know I have the option of selling to a wider audience when that time comes!

Thanks for any and all assistance.

cuda2000

Car(s)
2017 Golf SW 4motion
Buy new or used JB1?

I know George is moderating here and a very very helpful resource... no offence intended asking this question: I have limited funds and am considering buying a used JB1 for my MKVII (2018) 4motion sportwagen and wondering if I need to find someone selling the "Group 3" version or if the "Group" is firmware related and can be updated/changed on any "box"?

Also relevant if I'm buying new because my Golf is a bit of a "niche" vehicle here in Canada and I'd want to sell it used one day... would be good to know I have the option of selling to a wider audience when that time comes!

Thanks for any and all assistance.

All the mk7 jb1 and jb4 are compatible. George put the "groups" so that he knew from sales reporting what they were being sold for. In other words, a jb1 used on a golf R will work just fine on your sportwagen. You should buy the pc data cable from burger tuning son that you can change map settings though if you buy used, because the prior owner may have changed settings. I'm running jb1 on my 2017 sportwagen 4motion for the last 8,000 mikes and it is awesome! I put it on at 2,000 miles, and I'm running map 6 now. Map 1 is good, but map 6 is better, with the settings I posted a few posts up in this forum.

cuda2000

Car(s)
2017 Golf SW 4motion
can someone please tell me where plug A IS? trying to get this map 6 rolling but cant find the plug on the golf

It is on top of the engine, near the intake. It is a hard to install, but remove the intake hose and it is easier. See pics here:
http://imgur.com/gallery/rU480jy

There is another thing you can do instead though.... you can get the signal from plug C.
You can completely remove plug A by splicing the purple plug A wire into the #8 wire on Plug C. I got these instructions from Burger. This is how he wired newer versions of JB1.
See pictures here:

http://imgur.com/gallery/rLYOkbR

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
It is on top of the engine, near the intake. It is a hard to install, but remove the intake hose and it is easier. See pics here:
http://imgur.com/gallery/rU480jy

There is another thing you can do instead though.... you can get the signal from plug C.
You can completely remove plug A by splicing the purple plug A wire into the #8 wire on Plug C. I got these instructions from Burger. This is how he wired newer versions of JB1.
See pictures here:

http://imgur.com/gallery/rLYOkbR

ah ok i think I found out. Its near a few other plugs right next to the charge pipe (turbo outlet pipe)

MANU01

Passed Driver's Ed
Installed the JB1 about 2 months ago, maybe two weeks after taking delivery of the new car.
I notice that I can ear the turbo spool up and whine (expected), but more so, the turbo pressure being released (BOV?) when off the throttle. Is that normal?

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Installed the JB1 about 2 months ago, maybe two weeks after taking delivery of the new car.
I notice that I can ear the turbo spool up and whine (expected), but more so, the turbo pressure being released (BOV?) when off the throttle. Is that normal?

This is normal. The release noise will get louder the hotter it gets since the car boost more.
The noise you want to avoid is a chirping noise on spool up from 3000-3600 in a high gear. If so use map 6 to dial boost down a bit in that rpm range.

Sl0thy

What are people in the NE running for the fuel loop on a base Map 1 setting ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cksea

Is anyone running the JB4 with an IS38? I understand that you would be missing out on some power but any issues running for a while until the ECU can be reflashed?

RobC2017

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi Everyone.

Just finished reading this entire thread. A lot of great info here, thanks to everyone for contributing.

It was good to discover that I can set the JB1 to map 0 if I'm at a location that only has 87 gas (that happens around here sometimes).

I've a got 2017 Sportwagen, 1.8Tsi, AT. Bought it new and thought I'd wait a while before "playing" with the tuning.

-- It's almost playtime --

There's probably no reason for me to get a JB4 since the highest octane gas around here is 91. Anyway, I've added a JB1 with a data cable to my Xmas wish list.

Just wondering if there's a reseller located in Canada?

Thanks

Last edited:

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Hi Everyone.

Just finished reading this entire thread. A lot of great info here, thanks to everyone for contributing.

It was good to discover that I can set the JB1 to map 0 if I'm at a location that only has 87 gas (that happens around here sometimes).

I've a got 2017 Sportwagen, 1.8Tsi, AT. Bought it new and thought I'd wait a while before "playing" with the tuning.

-- It's almost playtime --

There's probably no reason for me to get a JB4 since the highest octane gas around here is 91. Anyway, I've added a JB1 with a data cable to my Xmas wish list.

Just wondering if there's a reseller located in Canada?

Thanks

The JB1 will work well on your car with the lower octane. JB4 runs a bit richer so might even be more suitable performance wise with the worse octane and if you get the itch to do some logging we can do a custom map to suite the fuel to the T.

tlovejr

Car(s)
2019 e-Golf SE
Stick w/ JB1 or jump to JB4?

So, I’ve been running the JB1 for a year or so now and have mostly loved it. My daily driver is a Leaf, and the GSW is mostly used as our road warrior for out-of-town travel. Thus, mostly high-speed (highway) driving, and it generally performs well. However, I recently had a full day of urban driving around downtown Atlanta, and came out a bit frustrated with the cars performance.

Specifically, I regularly felt a bit of lag or delay when trying to take advantage of the small windows of opportunity to jump into traffic. It feels like there is a short lag when I hit the gas, followed by the embarrassing SCREECH as the car then lunges its way forward.

Admittedly, I’m used to the insta-torque from daily driving electric where I can simply point my nose towards a small hole in traffic, roll on to the throttle, and scoot right on over to where I want to be. Not so in the GSW.

So, I’m wondering if switching to the JB4 would be the right thing to do? I suppose the general answer is “Yes, go for the JB4”. But isn’t that just going to increase the boost and make the car jumpy, with louder and longer screeches?