GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is38 supporting mods/tuning

910noskillz

Just curious as to what you is38 guys are running as supporting mods or to tune with? I have a jb4/downpipe And am really thinking about going is38. I’ve done a little research and haven’t found much, but would I need to run a different intercooler setup? Sorry if this has been covered, but I didn’t have much luck searching and am just looking for some guys who have done it. Is20 is not out of the question either, but I’m thinking I’d rather go is38. I know I will need a clutch, just trying to hear some first hand experiences with it. Thanks

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Get more fuel via golf R injectors and GTI/golf R HPFP and vacuum pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ketoi12345678

Ready to race!
For me:
1. Golf R fuel injectors
2. GTI high-pressure fuel pump (with the vacuum pump).
3. Ebay IC, DP, and custom tune.

You don't need item 1,2 if you go with APR. Even without 1 & 2, the car is pretty fast and fun :D

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Intercooler is an absolute must as it'll get your IAT temps under control especially as things start heating up again. Though one thing I would absolutely recommend is getting a full drivetrain mount kit, as well as sticking the widest stickiest tires you can afford up front.

Is38 makes good power, and if you're in a FWD Mk7, it's worth it to invest in equipment that will actually allow the car to put that power to the pavement.

Of course if maximum power is the route you want to go on, getting a down pipe as well as fueling sorted is a must.

910noskillz

Thanks for the info guys, I may end up doing the is38! Definitely going to be putting sone sticky tires on it whenever I do. I’d like to have it tuned to do boost by gear because I know 1st and 2nd will probably be rediculous even with sticky tires

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Another vote for intercooler.

910noskillz

Got it, what software was used for the custom tune you have? I wish they had the Cobb for the 1.8 guys. I’m going to see what’s up with the is38 I may be able to get, but has anyone had any luck with the eBay FMIC? I have a catless downpipe on the car already. Need to find some injectors and fuel pump internals as well

ketoi12345678

Ready to race!
Got it, what software was used for the custom tune you have? I wish they had the Cobb for the 1.8 guys. I’m going to see what’s up with the is38 I may be able to get, but has anyone had any luck with the eBay FMIC? I have a catless downpipe on the car already. Need to find some injectors and fuel pump internals as well

I have Maestro for the custom tuning, the only one available right now. I have Ebay IC for stock location. When I bought the IC, the Ebay FMIC was not yet available. By the way, stop hoping for Cobb, they clearly said they will not support us.

ketoi12345678

Ready to race!
Gotcha, I may give the front mount a try. Thanks for the insight, I feel a little better about going is38 than I did before. What clutch are you running?

I used to have TTRS clutch, which I do NOT recommend. I had about 10 launches on it after broke in, and it slips from 3k to 4k in 3rd gear. My car is in the shop now, it will be fitted with Sach 4 pucks.

If I were you, I would skip IS38 and go with EQT turbo. Why?, for me, at the end of the day, I still feel uncomfortable when thinking about one day the IS38 will give up on me. It is also the reason why I only run 26psi. EQT has a promotion right now, you should check it out.