GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aisin 09G durability

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
I have an Alltrack 6MT with APR stage one 91. I bought an IS20 new with an IE intercooler and a used APR downpipe. I really really wish the Alltrack had a 2.0 cause I would have gone IS38 or EQT turbo. I’m not comfortable with that much power with the cast parts in a 1.8. Btw my clutch is slipping now, Stage three daily Southbend going in next week, turbo etc. probably by the end of this month. I definitely needed a wagon, wanted awd because of our crap winters, just wish I could lean on my motor like the 2.0 crowd can. So, my take is why a Golf hatchback when a GTI is a stouter platform to build?

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
It baffles me how the 5mt's clutch can hold more than the 6mt's. Granted, the alltrack is a lot heavier than a base golf with the 5mt, but still. Anyways, good luck with your IS20 swap! I'm sure you'll be pretty happy.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
For what it's worth there are a good couple of 1.8's out there running is38 just fine. Only one to suffer any sort of mechanical failure that I'm aware of was due to a faulty injector, not anything regarding the internals. Now I certainly have doubts about throwing EQT's turbo on the 1.8, but then again throwing 450hp is a looooot to be asking the front wheels to put down.

Sure on a golf R it makes sense, but anything north of around 350 is just asking for wheel spin on fwd. As for getting the Golf over the GTI, the easiest answer is that it's cheaper. With all my mods I finally caught up to what the dealer quoted me for a base GTI, and believe me my TSI as it is now will eat any stock GTI alive.

Msabino30

For what it's worth there are a good couple of 1.8's out there running is38 just fine. Only one to suffer any sort of mechanical failure that I'm aware of was due to a faulty injector, not anything regarding the internals. Now I certainly have doubts about throwing EQT's turbo on the 1.8, but then again throwing 450hp is a looooot to be asking the front wheels to put down.

Sure on a golf R it makes sense, but anything north of around 350 is just asking for wheel spin on fwd. As for getting the Golf over the GTI, the easiest answer is that it's cheaper. With all my mods I finally caught up to what the dealer quoted me for a base GTI, and believe me my TSI as it is now will eat any stock GTI alive.

I pretty much have the exact setup as you, how do you launch your car?

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
I pretty much have the exact setup as you, how do you launch your car?
My procedure for launching at the dragstrip is to fully defeat traction control, put the transmission into the manual mode (I let it automatically upshift at redline), and brake boost to about 2.5k RPM.

On a torque converter you really don't want to brake boost toooo high (it's rather bad for the torque converter).

Msabino30

My procedure for launching at the dragstrip is to fully defeat traction control, put the transmission into the manual mode (I let it automatically upshift at redline), and brake boost to about 2.5k RPM.

On a torque converter you really don't want to brake boost toooo high (it's rather bad for the torque converter).

Thank you! I’ve been doing this now and it works pretty good. You doing any early maintenance to help with reliability?

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
APR recommends oil changes every 5,000 miles while tuned, so I've been sticking to that. Otherwise I've simply been following manufacturer recommended scheduling.

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
I thought I'd chime in as well. Bought my 1.8T auto for many same reasons as already stated above. Paid $18,999 for Wolfsburg edition which was the top of the line at the time. Base GTI was $23,xxx with no options. Drove it stock first 20k miles on 87 gas. My daily commute is 130 miles. During that time averaging 35-36 mpg. At 20k miles got used JB4. At the same time added GTI turboback. At 40k miles installed APR downpipe followed by IS20 and shortly after APR IS20 tune. Now passed 52k miles on pretty much FBO Golf. The only thing I'm missing is the upgraded intercooler. Yes, I spent a lot $$$ on getting my Golf to where it is now getting bigger brakes, turbo, exhaust, suspension, etc but I'm still a tick over what a base GTI would have cost me without any options. And did I mention the insurance is low because it's just a Golf :)

Did the transmission service at 50k miles as per the owner's manual. Never had any hiccups, always smooth shifting. Oil changes were at 10k miles due to all highway commute but now will be every 5k miles with going IS20 APR.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
hey sorry to hijack a bit but what is the service interval for the 09G trans fluid? i've heard 50k and 80k

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
hey sorry to hijack a bit but what is the service interval for the 09G trans fluid? i've heard 50k and 80k
I've seen both as well. I did mine at 50k miles. Wife's Tiguan has new 8 speed auto that has 80k miles interval per owner's manual.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk