GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A-pillar trim clip removal w/o damaging

SM075180

Ready to race!
Heeeyyy! So if you rotate the clips as parallel to the frame as possible in their slot and squeeze with an angled set of pliers as close to the frame as you can the clips will come out without the need to reform/reshape before reinstallation.

Maybe this is common knowledge somewhere- I know I’ve seen multiple posts where “smashing them a lot” seems to be the go to solution.

I’d be happy to draw up a diagram or something if anyone would like.

If not just let this die in the pile of stupid, useless threads lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the contribution, there is indeed a very old thread about this like 3 years old so it’s pretty buried somewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
How do you get the pliers behind the trim before taking it off? I'm about to install my dash cam power so I know I'll be needing to take off the driver side A trim.

Thanks

SM075180

Ready to race!
How do you get the pliers behind the trim before taking it off? I'm about to install my dash cam power so I know I'll be needing to take off the driver side A trim.

Thanks

You don’t. You’ll need to have already removed the a pillar in order to rotate the trim clips to an angle at which you can compress them at properly to avoid damage with some pliers. Many write-ups for this process and the subsequent reinstallation assert that the metal trim clips must be damaged/reshaped in order to remove/reinstall them.

I’m just trying to inform everyone with a little patience and forethought this is not necessary. They can be removed by simply compressing their “spring” at an appropriate point.

It took me <5 seconds to remove each clip.

There’s a lot of great write ups with images for removing the a pillar though. Just take the time to read through one. With that knowledge and knowing that the gorillas that work on our cars at dealerships yank these things out without breaking bits left and right it’s just a matter of getting in there and making it happen. They’re designed to come out. So stick with it when inevitably it feels like you’re going to break something- you might be about to but if you’re going through things methodically and following along with a how to there should be no issues when a little elbow grease seems necessary.

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

zero10

Ready to race!
Most of the threads I have seen are completely broken because they used photobucket for pictures. I have to pull my passenger side A pillar soon to fix a rattle - any chance of pictures to explain this procedure?

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
Heeeyyy! So if you rotate the clips as parallel to the frame as possible in their slot and squeeze with an angled set of pliers as close to the frame as you can the clips will come out without the need to reform/reshape before reinstallation.
An old thread and I know the OP hasn't been around but this worked for me and saved a lot of swearing.

Unfortunately I was in a hurry so I didn't get any pictures but next time the pillars come out I will take some pictures.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
An old thread and I know the OP hasn't been around but this worked for me and saved a lot of swearing.

Unfortunately I was in a hurry so I didn't get any pictures but next time the pillars come out I will take some pictures.
I have to get my windshield replaced…again…I am going to pull the a pillar trims before dropping it off. If I remember I will take pics. This won’t be until June though.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
I have to get my windshield replaced…again…I am going to pull the a pillar trims before dropping it off. If I remember I will take pics. This won’t be until June though.
Another cracked windshield here……… inspection due in 6-22

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Another cracked windshield here……… inspection due in 6-22
I was worried about derailing the thread, but realized it’s old anyways.

I bought my car November 2020. Windshield took a rock December 2020 on the way to my new job. Now I started a new job last Monday. Took a rock Tuesday. Sigh.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Oh shit.... same thing here, I'm just waiting for the state inspection to get closer, I don't want to fix it and crack it again...