GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine blowing from APR Stage 1?

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
If a tune was the sole reason an engine would blow, there would be ALOT of blown engines around here. Not saying it doesn't increase the risk of a weak component failing but its not the sole reason.

I honestly wouldn't lose sleep at stage 1. Stage 2 and higher....sure, its more of a risk, so just stick to stage 1 if you're that worried. The tech at my local VW dealer said APR stage 1 is the first and only mod he ever does to his VWs and has never had a problem.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Spark plugs every 10k miles [emoji23]��

I'm over 53k miles on stock spark plugs with zero issues. ED tuned for over 43k miles. I have never heard of plugs wearing out like that... Very bizarre.

If you're using brisk silver spark plugs than it's actually a must to regap the plugs at 10k miles and replace at 20k.

If you're using the RS7 plugs they have iridium tips that last quite a while. The stock plugs are made for the stock tune. Go a step colder if you have a tune and you'll be good to go for a while.

I've read that the brisk silvers have the smoothest response, though with the downside of needing to be regaped at 10k miles and replaced at 20k miles maybe less depending on how you drive the car.

There's a good thread on them here:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28135

Well take it as you will but in 14,000 miles my RS7 plugs wore to a gap of .030

They come set at .024, which they all checked good at before install

best images for websites

I'm glad you guys are getting long spark plug life, but I'm almost done with my first shorter 10k cycle on a set of RS7 so we'll see how they look when I pull them.

My stock plugs had about the same visible wear when I pulled them at 30k ish (21k of that being tuned APR)

Anyway, plugs are cheap insurance so laugh all you want, but depending on how this set looks when I pull them I'll be running & suggesting 10k intervals while tuned. Just because you're not getting a CEL (extreme case, major neglect) doesn't mean they're not worn out of spec. Also, you can't re gap these RS7 plugs so that's not an option for me like those using brisk

Last edited:

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
Should we be concerned that this car burns through spark plugs? I believe yours were worn but take a step back and realize this is abnormal wear.

For the entire first year of this forum everyone was saying stock plugs were fine... Even the major tuning companies. Generally speaking you will feel the symptoms of bad spark plugs otherwise changing the stock plugs at the recommended intervals should be fine.

Mk6 did well on a step colder plugs but most people were not saying a change was needed early on. Spark plugs are cheap of course so no problem replacing them. I'm just shocked you're burning through them like that. It's not normal.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Well it's still only my second set of RS7 plugs so we'll see how this set lasts.

The only thing I noticed was the idle slightly rougher than normal. The car still pulled hard and got great mileage as usual

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
Well it's still only my second set of RS7 plugs so we'll see how this set lasts.

The only thing I noticed was the idle slightly rougher than normal. The car still pulled hard and got great mileage as usual
Rough idle is a usual sign of plugs or coilpacks going bad. I had a coil blow on my mk6... That was fun!

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
yep bought the car with 10 miles on it, did stage 1.5 at i think 5000-8000 mile range, then 2 and downpipe at roughly 12,000 miles
Dang man very sorry to hear. I have to wonder if the tune exposed a fatal engine flaw that was already present. Of course no way to prove and vw will always blame the tune.

adrian_hij_

If a tune was the sole reason an engine would blow, there would be ALOT of blown engines around here. Not saying it doesn't increase the risk of a weak component failing but its not the sole reason.

I honestly wouldn't lose sleep at stage 1. Stage 2 and higher....sure, its more of a risk, so just stick to stage 1 if you're that worried. The tech at my local VW dealer said APR stage 1 is the first and only mod he ever does to his VWs and has never had a problem.
Yea, I'm not planning on going stage 2. Stage 1 is fast enough, and I want her to last a while. My mechanic gave me a big scare though. It's relieving to see your guys' input haha

Ghawkins

Ready to race!
Three GTI’s, all APR Stage 1. Mk 5, 6, & 7. No issues whatsoever, except new clutch for the Mk 7. That is as related to the tune or not. Guess APR and VW deserve their business after all.